Uber Eats makes its first-ever delivery to space – Japanese billionaire delivers canned beef and boiled mackerel to the International Space Station
Uber Eatsmade its first delivery in spaceand became the first delivery service to send food to the ISS. Japanesebillionaire Yusaku Maezawa gave ISS astronauts Uber Eats deliveries, such as canned beef.
Maezawa, who previously bought tickets on a SpaceX rocket, blasted into space on Wednesday from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan for a 12-day trip to the ISS.
After his nearly nine-hour rocket ride to the ISS, Maezawa on Saturday hand-delivered Japanese food via Uber Eats to astronauts currently stationed there, the company said in an emailed statement to Insider.
It's now the first
The canned food, which was ready-to-eat, included a beef bowl cooked in a sweet sauce, boiled mackerel in miso, chicken with bamboo shoots, and braised pork, Uber Eats said.
"One small handoff for Yusaku Maezawa, one giant delivery for Uber Eats!" said Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi in the statement. "Maezawa gets a thumbs up on this delivery, even though it took a bit longer than the usual 30 minutes to arrive."
Maezawa told the Associated Press on Monday that reports on him spending $80 million on his trip were "pretty much" accurate.
Before he flew to the ISS, the fashion tycoon said on Twitter that he will give away money from space.
Maezawa made headlines in 2018 when he bought all the seats on SpaceX's first tourist flight around the moon scheduled for 2023.
He is currently worth $3.4 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- The CEO of software giant Intuit, which has avoided mass layoffs, says tech firms axed jobs because they misread the pandemic
- I flew cross-country with my 5-month-old son on my lap. Next time, I'm paying full price for him to have his own seat.
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala