Urban Outfitters, Nike, and 9 other major retailers are temporarily closing its stores in an unprecedented move to prevent the spread of the coronavirus
Jessica Tyler/Business Insider
- A total of 11 major US retailers have announced they will temporarily close their doors for at least the next two weeks to prevent the spread of the coronavirus in the US.
- Most of these companies - which range from mall brands like Urban Outfitters to major athletic retailers like Nike - have confirmed they will pay employees for lost shifts during this period.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
In an unprecedented move for US retailers, many are opting to indefinitely shut their doors to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus in the US.
Though companies like Walmart have taken steps to reduce hours, several major retailers are electing to fully cease physical store operations as confirmed coronavirus cases in the country continue to rise. On Friday, Glossier and Patagonia both announced that they will close stores, prompting a flood of retailers to follow suit over the weekend, including mall brands like Abercrombie & Fitch and Urban Outfitters and athletic companies like Nike.
In most cases, employees are being compensated for the lost shifts, pointing to how the global pandemic has led to seismic shifts in paid sick leave policies for retail workers on the front lines. Since the outbreak of the coronavirus in the US, companies like Whole Foods, Starbucks, and Trader Joe's have all implemented new protections for workers for the first time.
See the full list of retailers who are temporarily closing their doors, below.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Some people are apparently ditching their iPhones for a foldable Razr model. Yes, the kind that was popular 20 years ago.
- Henkel doubles down on India as hair care market at an inflection point – to evaluate laundry segment later
- IKIO Lighting IPO opens today: 10 things to know before you subscribe
- Best flagship phones in India in 2023
- Small Size Bluetooth speakers in India
- IIT Madras tops Indian institute ranking fifth year in a row – here are the top 10