Wendy's scorches Burger King's new fries-only sandwich on Twitter, saying 'literally anything would be better on a bun than their beef'
- Wendy's roasted Burger King's new fries-only sandwich on Twitter on Tuessday.
- Wendy's quote-tweeted a post about the fries sandwich, saying, "When literally anything would be better on a bun than their beef."
- The fries-only sandwich resembles a chip butty, a common sandwich in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand.
- Wendy's tweet divided Twitter between stark defenders of the sandwich and users disgusted by it.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
On Sunday, Burger King announced it would test a sandwich with just french fries in New Zealand.
The burger consists of two standard burger buns, fries, mayo, and ketchup.
Wendy's jumped at the chance to make fun of one of its biggest competitors, stirring up a Twitter frenzy among fans on Tuesday.
Burger King's new sandwich closely resembles the "chip butty," a common sandwich in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand. But for many fans, the chain's new fried-potato-only sandwich was baffling.
One Twitter user posted in response, "Please tell me this is a joke."
Taco Bell's senior corporate chef Mike Haracz, who formerly was head of culinary innovation at McDonald's, also tossed in his reaction.
Other Twitter users jumped in to defend the honor of the fries-only sandwich.
Burger King has not yet responded to Wendy's tweet or the ensuing Twitter frenzy. Meanwhile, New Zealand publication The Spinoff taste-tested the new sandwich. The verdict? Split down the middle.
When literally anything would be better on a bun than their beef. https://t.co/YfTTrYrPDI- Wendy's (@Wendys) February 18, 2020
their whole restaurant is- Wendy's (@Wendys) February 18, 2020
You are really not being fair, @Wendys. @BurgerKing fries are WAY worse than their beef. https://t.co/RB1WW0uuq1- Shaun Danger (@makebase) February 18, 2020
next up on their docket pic.twitter.com/Blv7Fs2iSU- The Holy Spirit (@TweetOfSpirit_) February 18, 2020
February 18, 2020
We are waaaay ahead of you pic.twitter.com/n4h9Pjl9Ew- Nathan Lane (@nathanlane) February 17, 2020
It's called a chip butty, and we've had them for ages! https://t.co/yyNNmRnVx9- CMDR David Shepard - SSV Intrepid (@david_intrepid) February 18, 2020
The entire U.K. wants to claim intellectual property on this because we did it first- Frances Weetman (@francesweetman) February 17, 2020
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- Toyota reports highest-ever monthly sales in May at 20,410 units
- Indian aviation regulator asks airlines to frame deplaning guidelines in case of emergency
- Zendesk lays off 320 employees; 8% of workforce
- India’s top 10 transformation moves in the last decade according to Morgan Stanley
- Kotak report sounds a warning for the ‘nonchalant’ Indian market investor