This map shows every state that has legalized marijuana
Skye Gould/Business Insider
- Recreational marijuana is legal in nine states and medical marijuana is legal in 29 states.
- Vermont became the first state to legalize marijuana through the legislature, rather than a ballot initiative, in January 2018.
- A recent Gallup poll showed that 64% of Americans support legalization.
One of the world's biggest cash crops - marijuana - is sweeping the US.Advertisement
It's legal for adults over the age of 21 to smoke marijuana without a doctor's letter in nine states. Medical marijuana is legal in 29 states. Vermont became the first state to legalize marijuana through the legislature, rather than a ballot initiative when Republican Governor Phil Scott signed the bill into law in January.
Marijuana prohibition began 80 years ago when the federal government put a ban on the sale, cultivation, and use of the cannabis plant. It remains illegal on the federal level.Despite the efforts of Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who has been on a crusade to stamp out legal marijuana since his appointment, the industry is exploding.
Legal marijuana sales were expected to hit $9.7 billion in North America in 2017, according to a report from Arcview Market Research. Arcview has not yet released final numbers for the year, but its forecast represents a 33% increase over 2016, shattering previous expectations about how quickly the industry could grow in the face of federal prohibition.The report also predicted that the entire legal marijuana market will reach $24.5 billion in sales - a 28% annual growth rate - by 2021, as more state-legal markets come online.Support for marijuana legalization reached new highs in 2017. A Gallup poll showed that 64% of Americans favor legalization, and a majority of Republicans back it for the first time.Advertisement
- 2 more test COVID-19 positive in UP's Shamli district
- With 242 cases in a day, Bihar's COVID tally soars to 3,806
- 123 more test positive for COVID-19 in Assam; total count 1,339
- 48 COVID-19 cases reported in a day in Gautam Buddh Nagar; total 453
- Top bureaucrats under quarantine after senior IAS officer tests COVID-19 positive in J-K