Russia is dumping US debt and buying gold instead
MIKHAIL KLIMENTYEV/AFP/Getty Images
- Russian ownership of US Treasury bonds has dropped from $96.1 billion in March to an 11-year low of $14.9 billion, latest figures show.
- The US Treasury released a list of the top 33 national investors in its bonds on Tuesday. Russia, once in the top 10, was absent.
- Elvira Nabiullina, head of the Central Bank of Russia (CBR), said cutting the stake is due to an assessment of financial, economic, and geopolitical risks.
- Russia has been buying gold as it sells off US bonds, recently overtaking China as the world's biggest holder of gold, with $80.5 billion-worth.
Russia's ownership of US bonds declined from $96.1 billion in March to $48.7 billion in April and now stands at just $14.9 billion, according to the latest available data.
The US Treasury on Tuesday released a list of the top 33 investors in US debt. Russia was in the top ten in 2010 with ownership of $176.3 billion, but it now ranks below Chile in terms of US Treasury holdings.
The Russian sell-off began in 2011 and has intensified as the US has raised sanctions against the country.
Elvira Nabiullina, head of the Central Bank of Russia (CBR), said the reduction is due to an assessment of financial, economic, and geopolitical risks, RT reported.
The Russian Federation has been buying large amounts of gold as it continues to sell US Treasury bonds, recently overtaking China as the world's biggest holder with $80.5 billion-worth, according to the CBR.
China holds at $1183 billion of US debt, the most of any foreign country.
Turkey has also nearly halved it's US debt holdings from $62 billion in 2017 to $32.6 billion in May. Germany's position stands at $78.3 billion.
The US currency has come under increasing pressure in 2018 as US debt mounts.
- Dr Pepper forced to give $100K prize to BOTH contestants after boos erupt following odd tie-breaker at SEC championship halftime contest
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- ChatGPT is a new AI chatbot that can find mistakes in your code or write a story for you
- More than one in five people experience violence and harassment at work: ILO
- End of revenge spending? Urban spending to taper off in the next few quarters, says Motilal Oswal
- Rupee falls 24 paise to 82.09/$ amid rising crude, foreign fund outflows
- City of Joy mourns the loss of Dominique Lapierre
- Sensex, Nifty50 open in the red amid negative global cues – TVS Motor, Adani Enterprises, HDFC among stocks to watch out for
- Jio Haptik
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Droneacharya Aerial IPO
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Kama Holdings
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World