Salmonella outbreak tied to pig ear dog treats infects more than 120 people in 33 states and triggers nationwide recall

many dogs walking

Shutterstock

Pig ear dog treats are getting people sick.

  • A salmonella outbreak tied to pig ear dog treats has infected 127 people in 33 states, including two dozen children under five years of age.
  • Federal agencies have ordered retailers to stop selling the products nationwide. No single source of the outbreak has been identified.
  • People can get sick after touching the treats or caring for dogs who ate them.
  • Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
Advertisement

Federal agencies are ordering retailers to stop selling all pig ear dog treats and chews amid a salmonella outbreak tied to the products.

The outbreak has sickened at least 127 people in 33 states, including two dozen children under five years of age, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday. Roughly 30% of those sickened have been hospitalized.
Advertisement
No single source of the outbreak has been identified. Several strains of Salmonella were found on pig ear treats and chews from "many different" suppliers during testing by state and federal health officials, the CDC said.

Read more: FDA warns of possible link between dog food and heart disease, and identifies 16 food brands that are part of its investigation

The CDC and Food and Drug Administration say people can get sick after touching the treats or caring for dogs who ate them. Dogs may also get sick after eating the treats.
Advertisement

Salmonella causes diarrhea, fever, and stomach cramps. The CDC is advising people to wash their hands after touching any unpackaged dog food or treats, including products in bulk bins or on store shelves.

The CDC has also advised that children younger than five years old should not touch or eat dog food or treats."Young children are at risk for illness because their immune systems are still developing and because they are more likely than others to put their fingers or other items into their mouths," the CDC said.
Advertisement
{{}}