Guru Purnima lunar eclipse may not be visible from India — but here’s how you can still catch it live
- The Buck
Full Moonpenumbral lunar eclipseis set to occur on July 5 in India.
- It’s set to occur on the same day as
- Even though it will happen during the day as per Indian Standard Time (IST), you can still catch the time stream from the Lowell Observatory.
The Buck Full Moon on Saturday, July 5, will be witness to the third eclipse in a row. It’s also the same day as Guru Purnima in India. The first penumbral lunar eclipse occurred during the Strawberry Full Moon on June 5. It was followed by the annular solar eclipse on June 21.
While the first two events were visible in the skies over India, the latest lunar eclipse will occur during the day as per Indian Standard Time spanning between 8:37 am to 11:22 am. However, you can still watch it live as telescopes in other parts of the world follow the eclipse.
The US-based Lowell Observatory plans to live stream the lunar eclipse from their YouTube channel.
Have you been enjoying our live digital content? ✨ Here's what we have streaming this week: ⭐️ Tues. 6/30- 2 pm… https://t.co/MIQJQenNcr— Lowell Observatory (@LowellObs) 1593453749000
Do keep in mind that unlike a total or partial lunar eclipse, the penumbral lunar eclipse is a little more difficult to spot. During a total or partial eclipse, the darkest part of the Earth’s shadow is able to block out the Sun’s light pushing a clear shadow over the lunar surface.
However, during a penumbral eclipse, it’s only the Earth’s outer shadow — the penumbra — that falls on the Moon. This means that while it’s still lunar eclipse, the Moon only appears slightly darker than usual to the naked eye. For most, it’s difficult to differentiate from the conventional Full Moon.
Popular on BI
- India’s techies are leaving IT firms in hordes — Here’s why
- After a near-record run at the top of Netflix's US Top 10 list, pop culture smash 'Squid Game' has been bumped by another show
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- Best high speed monochrome printers in India
- Best portable room heaters in India
- Best nose pins for those without piercing in India
- Best high speed blenders in India
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks