See the raid where the 33-year-old woman accused of hacking Capital One was apprehended by camouflaged, armed FBI agents
Drew Angerer/Getty Images
- A 33-year-old woman named Paige Thompson was arrested on Monday. Thompson is accused of perpetrating the hack on Capital One that exposed the data of over 100 million customers in the US and Canada.
- Thompson lived in Seattle, and was arrested in a raid on Monday at her home.
- A video of the raid was published on Tuesday night, and it offers a look into the overwhelming force used to apprehend Thompson.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
A 33-year-old woman named Paige Thompson was arrested on Monday in an FBI raid on her Seattle home.
Thompson is accused of hacking into Capital One's servers and exposing data of over 100 million customers in the United States and Canada.
The breach exposed Social Security numbers, bank account numbers, and personal information. There is currently no way to find out if your information was impacted in the breach, but Capital One says it will let customers know through various channels in the future.
On Monday, the FBI executed a raid on Thompson's home which was captured on home surveillance cameras by Thompson's roommates and shared with Seattle NBC affiliate King 5.
Thompson's roommates Ashley and Alexis described the experience to King 5.
"We heard the 'FBI open up," said one of Thompson's roommates. "Green camo, military-like tactical gear."
Thompson is facing one federal charge of computer fraud and abuse; if convicted, she could face a sentence of up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
During the FBI raid on Thompson's home on Monday, both Thompson and another suspect were taken into custody - 66-year-old Park Quan, who was arrested on charges of possessing illegal firearms and firearms augmentations including bump stocks, which are illegal in Washington state.
A video obtained by King 5 of the FBI raid was released on Tuesday night, which you can see right here:
- New-age tech companies rake in business but are still making losses
- Best weighing machine under ₹500
- Dharmaj Crop Guard IPO subscribed 1.79 times on day 1
- As Sensex, Nifty50 hit record highs, this is what experts are advising investors
- FM concludes week-long consultation meetings for Budget 2023-24