Sigh, pepperoni pizzas are sneaking out of most Indian pizza chain menus
Domino'sPizza has already removed pork pepperonipizzas from its menu because apparently, the good quality meat is hard to come by.
Pizza Huttoo has followed suit by selling the pepperoni pizzas only in select states.
- One school of thought believes that this is being done to cater to religious ‘sensibilities’ of those who consider the source of the meat unacceptable.
Domino's Pizza has already removed pork pepperoni pizzas from its menu because apparently, the good quality meat is hard to come by. Pizza Hut too has followed suit by selling the pepperoni pizzas only in select states.
According to a spokesperson for
But it looks this is a perennial problem with miffed customers repeatedly complaining about its unavailability in India.
just called Domino's after two years as wifey is craving Pizza and....... they've discontinued pepperoni in India 😶— Chef Shaun Kenworthy (@shaunkenworthy) April 14, 2018
@dominos_india No #pepperoni here in Mumbai again, for a while now. Reason why I stopped ordering Domino's. #Lokhandwala @TheeHungryMan— mandheer singh (@mandheers) March 31, 2018
@dominos_india disappointed to know that cheese pepperoni has been taken off the menu..the only thing that made me order Domino's...goodbye!— Nitin Kumar (@nitinkumarm) September 29, 2017
I won't date with Pizza Hut or Dominos owners because they stopped serving Pepperoni Pizzas in India.— ILLUMINAUGHTY (@vineet10) April 14, 2017
However, the argument by the spokesperson was countered by Vicky Ratnani, culinary director for
Then there is the ‘cost’ argument where, according to Ratnani, the quality of pepperoni that is imported surpasses the Indian version and thus is much more expensive and that translates to a lesser margin. Therefore, big chains choose to go with cheaper chicken variants of the pizzas that are more profitable.
While supply and cost may be a reason for the removal from the menu, one school of thought believes that this is being done to cater to religious ‘sensibilities’ of those who consider the source of the meat unacceptable.
Perhaps it’s time for pepperoni lovers to make peace with ‘chicken’ pepperoni or lamb ‘pepperoni’. And FYI, by definition, pepperoni is beef or pork sausage seasoned with pepper, chicken or lamb doesn't make the cut.
Popular on BI
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- 10 Must-Do activities on your next Darjeeling Trip
- Govt received ₹1,70,501 crore in April as revenue
- Shubman Gill, Sunil Narine, Virat Kohli & more: IPL man of the series winners since 2008
- Five personal finance deadlines you can’t afford to miss in June
- List of famous things to buy in Darjeeling