Smokers Pay 235% More For Life Insurance
life insurance cost?
Well, it depends. If you're a smoker, you can expect a steep price tag.
A new report from InsuranceQuotes.com highlights how much the cost of a life insurance policy changes depending on age, sex, and lifestyle, and that the change is pretty significant.
Smokers see the most drastic price increase. On average, they pay 235% more than non-smokers of the same age and sex.
According to InsuranceQuotes.com, a "smoker" isn't only a chain smoker - in this context, the term also includes recreational and social smokers, and even users of e-cigarettes.
When it comes to age, on average:
- 25-year-olds will pay 27% less than 35-year-olds
- 45-year-olds will pay a staggering 120% more than 35-year-olds
No matter what their age, men will pay an average of 38% more than women for the exact same policies.
By that logic, it's most expensive to get life insurance as an older man who smokes. The chart below shows that he would pay nearly $11,000 more per year than his non-smoking counterpart.
Locking in a better rate while you're young and healthy is one of the chief reasons insurance companies will use to convince younger people to sign up for life insurance, but it doesn't necessarily guarantee you'll pay less over the duration of your policy.
Ultimately, it comes down to running the numbers for your own individual estimates, seeing what your budget can handle, and asking yourself: Is it worth it?
- People are posting parody photos of their bedside table in response to Elon Musk's tweet which suggested the Twitter CEO kept two guns by his bed
- Elon Musk calls on all Twitter designers, engineers doing software to sit on his floor of HQ for 'dense and intense' work
- Sensex, Nifty50 open higher as US Fed signals smaller rate hikes – TCS, Apollo Hospitals, Zomato among stocks in focus
- Here are the best apps and games on Google Play in India 2022
- Top 10 companies with the highest net profit in India as per Hurun 2022 list
- Rupee gains 8 paise to close at 81.22 against US dollar
- BYJU’s, Zomato, Dream11 among India’s most valuable PE/VC-funded companies as per Hurun
- GST revenues rose by 11% to ₹1.46 lakh crore in November: Finance Ministry
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Reliance Jio
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- tata Consumer
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- VerSe Innovation Company
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World