SOCIAL-MEDIA ADVERTISING: The Rush Into Social Is On, Led By Spending On Mobile And Programmatic
Ad dollars follow eyeballs, and these days they are on social.
The increase in social-ad spending is driven by this continuously growing reach, particularly on mobile, better analytics and targeting, and performance. The rise of programmatic social platforms has also fueled growth.
In the report and associated PowerPoint presentation, BI Intelligence looks at all the numbers and explores the drivers of social ad adoption.
Here are some of the key takeaways:
- Social-media advertising spend will grow rapidly through 2018. It's up 40% this year and will top $8.5 billion, growing to nearly $14 billion in 2018, a five-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 18%.
- Social media ad spend has reached the mobile-tipping point. Spending on mobile social-media ads, including mobile app-install ads, will surpass non-mobile spend by the end of this year in the US. In 2018, two-thirds of social-media ad spend will go to mobile, creating a $9.1 billion social-mobile market.
- Mobile app-install ads and programmatic buying are also growth drivers. Analyses suggest that mobile app-install ads could account for anywhere from one-quarter to more than one-half of Facebook's mobile ad revenues.
- Social programmatic ad platforms are also growth engines. Spending on FBX, Facebook's programmatic platform, increased by 150% year-over-year globally during the second quarter of 2014, based on a sample of advertisers.
- Prices are increasing as performance and targeting improve, even as ad loads stay steady on the established platforms. Facebook, for example, is not likely to increase the amount of in-feed native ads an average user will see.
- The market is expanding with the introduction of paid ad units at Pinterest and Instagram.
In full, the report:
- Provides over 15 charts and datasets on social media ad spend and performance trends
- Includes revenue/spend trends for Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
- Tracks trends in price, click-throughs, conversions and paid vs. organic reach statistics (5 charts)
- Explains why there has been a spike in spending growth on social-mobile
- Sets the context in terms of social media audience trends and user growth
- Lists the news on Instagram and Pinterest's ad efforts
- Analyzes the influence of FBX and MoPub on the social ad ecosystem
- Shows how a disproportionate amount of social media ad spend is domestic rather than international
For full access receive to all BI Intelligence's analysis, reporting, and downloadable charts and presentations on the digital media industry, sign up for a free trial.
- Slip and slide: Ten brands that shed the most value in 2023
- Ready to debut: Two Tata SUVs to see facelifts this October, and more
- 9 best street foods in Mumbai you must try
- 10 cool places to hangout in Mumbai
- Indian festival holiday calendar for October and November 2023 at a glance