Sony just caved on two major PlayStation 4 features, and it demonstrates that Microsoft is making smart moves with Xbox
Christian Petersen/Getty Images
Sony's PlayStation 4 is the most popular video game console in the world.
Over 80 million PS4 consoles have been sold across the past five years, which puts Sony ahead of both Microsoft's Xbox One and Nintendo's Switch by tens of millions of units sold. But that dominance also puts Sony on the defensive as Microsoft and Nintendo both attempt to compete.
Nintendo's answer has been the wildly popular Switch console: It's less of a response to the PlayStation 4 than a brilliant evolution of the failed Wii U. Nintendo, as ever, is doing its own thing.
Microsoft's answer, however, has been a direct offensive - a multi-faceted one with massive, precedent-breaking impacts:
Get the latest Microsoft stock price here.
1. Cross-play, the most important change to the game industry since polygonal graphics, is now a reality.
2. Netflix-like subscription services that offer massive game libraries for download.
Microsoft is making smart moves that endear it to the most dedicated gamers, while Sony is bleeding goodwill.
- A SpaceX flight attendant said Elon Musk exposed himself and propositioned her for sex, documents show. The company paid $250,000 for her silence.
- WazirX receives 1023 requests for data from law enforcement in October-March 2022
- Elon Musk was dating Amber Heard and finalizing a divorce around the time he's said to have sexually harassed a SpaceX flight attendant
- Researchers develop a virus that works even when iPhone is switched off
- Supreme Court of India extends time for submitting Pegasus probe report
- Chopper services launched in Goa for tourists, locals
- Both Ambuja Cements and ACC are bet worth investing with strong parent Adani
- Reserve Bank to pay ₹30,307 crore dividend payment to Centre for FY22