Sony just caved on two major PlayStation 4 features, and it demonstrates that Microsoft is making smart moves with Xbox
Christian Petersen/Getty Images
Sony's PlayStation 4 is the most popular video game console in the world.
Over 80 million PS4 consoles have been sold across the past five years, which puts Sony ahead of both Microsoft's Xbox One and Nintendo's Switch by tens of millions of units sold. But that dominance also puts Sony on the defensive as Microsoft and Nintendo both attempt to compete.
Nintendo's answer has been the wildly popular Switch console: It's less of a response to the PlayStation 4 than a brilliant evolution of the failed Wii U. Nintendo, as ever, is doing its own thing.
Microsoft's answer, however, has been a direct offensive - a multi-faceted one with massive, precedent-breaking impacts:
Get the latest Microsoft stock price here.
1. Cross-play, the most important change to the game industry since polygonal graphics, is now a reality.
2. Netflix-like subscription services that offer massive game libraries for download.
Microsoft is making smart moves that endear it to the most dedicated gamers, while Sony is bleeding goodwill.
- India may require 31,000 pilots in next 20 years: Boeing
- Unlike global economy, India would not slow down: RBI article
- Tier-1 cities’ home sales is 2x of what it’s in tier-2 cities: PropEquity
- Thomas Cook India, SOTC launch Green Carpet to help companies manage carbon emissions of biz travel
- Moody's downgrades outlook for UBS to negative, after Credit Suisse take over