An Olympian's ex-girlfriend joked that she regrets breaking up with him after he won a bronze medal at the Tokyo Games
- Hayden Wilde of New Zealand won bronze at the men's individual triathlon event in Tokyo on Monday.
- Reporters asked his ex if she had a message for him, and she said: "I regret breaking up with you!"
- The ex-girlfriend then laughed and said she was "so proud" of Wilde.
Breakups are always hard, especially when your ex wins a medal at the Olympics.
One New Zealand woman learned that the hard way as she watched Hayden Wilde score the bronze medal for their country during the men's individual triathlon event at the Tokyo 2020 games on Monday.
Reporters from 1News approached the woman - who was at a watch party with Wilde's friends and family - and asked if she had a message for her ex.
"I regret breaking up with you!" she said with a big laugh.
"Nah, I'm so proud of him," the woman added, revealing they went to primary school together. "He's grown so much. All the work he's obviously done to get there is amazing."
There won't be any rekindled flame between the old exes. After the competition, Wilde revealed that he planned to call his girlfriend.
"She was up in the early hours of the morning watching the race," he told reporters.
Wilde finished behind Alex Yee, who won silver for Great Britain, and Kristian Blummenfelt, who secured gold for Norway before he threw up after crossing the finish line.
Wilde rushed to Blummenfelt's aid, who had to be taken away in a wheelchair.
Hamish Wilde, the Olympian's brother, later revealed that he celebrated his new bronze medal by going on another run.
"I don't know whether he's happier with the new 6,000 Instagram followers, or if he's happier with the bronze medal," Hamish told Stuff.co.nz. "But at the end of the day, he's a happy man."
- Impact of AI on Customer Service
- Bengaluru cafe blast: Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah to chair meeting with top police officials today
- India retains full policy space for benefit of farmers, fishermen at WTO: Goyal
- Sensex, Nifty settle at new closing high levels in first part of special live trading session
- Passive Income Streams