Bill introduced in Congress hopes to force US Soccer Federation to pay men's and women's national team members equally
USWNTplayers have long fought against USSF to demand equal compensation to their male counterparts.
- As of International Women's Day, the fight for fair pay has moved to
Congressvia the GOALS Act.
- The bill threatens to block federal funding of the 2026 World Cup until the USWNT is paid equitably.
US Women's National Team players have long been waging a battle against the
And now, their high-profile fight is headed to Congress.
Two members of the US House of Representatives - Congresswoman Doris Matsui of California and Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut - introduced legislation on International Women's Day to demand
"Stars such as
The GOALS Act aims to force the Federation's hand by withholding federal funding from the 2026 Men's World Cup until USSF provides equal pay to the USWNT. The World Cup will be hosted collectively by the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
The bill comes just three months after players settled part of its lawsuit with US Soccer - and less than a year after a judge dismissed the compensation portion of the suit.
The Federation has consistently fought back against calls for equal pay despite the women's team's competitive and financial success. The USWNT has won four World Cups to the men's nil, and the team has brought in more revenue than the USMNT since 2015, per the Wall Street Journal.
But now, with the threat of reduced capital to back its World Cup investment five years down the line, US Soccer could perhaps have a renewed outlook on the matter of equal pay.
"The US Women's National Team, women who have captivated the global soccer community, deserve the same compensation as their male counterparts," Congresswoman DeLauro said. "The US Soccer Federation must be held accountable and end its discriminatory practices. The GOALS Act will bring our nation a step closer to equal pay for all professional athletes."
- Best nose pins for those without piercing in India
- Best high speed blenders in India
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons