China is claiming victory over the US in the Tokyo Olympic medal table by including Hong Kong and Taiwan in its count
- China is claiming victory over the US in the Tokyo Olympic medal table, producing an altered version of the count.
- The embellished table includes Chinese territories Hong Kong and Taiwan, which compete independently at the games.
- Including Hong Kong and Taiwan's medals in the count gives China 42 golds, three more than the US.
In the amended table, which has been shared by Chinese media and published widely on social media site Weibo, China's medal tally includes those won by Hong Kong and Taiwan.
Both places are Chinese territories, but compete separately to the Republic of China team at the Olympics.
Hong Kong, styled on the Olympic website as "Hong Kong, China," won one gold, two silvers, and three bronze medals.
Taiwan, which competes in the Olympics as Chinese Taipei, won two golds, four silvers, and six bronzes.
Without the medals of Hong Kong and Taiwan, China had 38 gold medals, one behind the 39 of Team USA. With the extra medals, however, China claims to have 42 golds.
-The First (@TheFirstonTV) August 11, 2021
Even with the added medals, China finished four medals behind the US in the overall count. Generally speaking, however, medals at the Olympics are counted by golds won, rather than overall medals.
By the official count on the Olympic website, the USA finished first with a total of 39 gold medals to China's 38 and earned 110 medals in total to China's 88. Host nation Japan was third with 27 golds, and 57 medals in total.
Don Weinland, a business and finance reporter at the Economist focusing on China joked on Twitter that China should also start including medals won by Mongolia, which sits just north of China, should also be counted.
Mongolia took one silver and three bronze medals at Tokyo.
-Don Weinland (@donweinland) August 9, 2021
Both Hong Kong and Taiwan are recognized as independent teams by the International Olympic Committee, whereas medals earned from those from Macau, another Chinese territory, count towards China's overall tally.
By the official table, Hong Kong finished in 49th place, while Taiwan came in 34th.
- Best portable room heaters in India
- Best nose pins for those without piercing in India
- Best high speed blenders in India
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons