Kobe Bryant's daughter Gianna 'Gigi' Bryant also died in the tragic helicopter accident that killed her father
Stephen R. Sylvanie-USA TODAY Sports
Kobe and Gianna Bryant were traveling to the Mamba Academy in Thousand Oaks, California, for a basketball practice when the crash occurred.
- NBA icon Kobe Bryant, 41, died in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California, on Sunday.
- His eldest daughter, Gianna 'Gigi' Bryant, was also killed in the accident, per TMZ and ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.
- She was 13 years old.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Los Angeles Lakers legend Kobe Bryant died Sunday in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California, at 41 years old.
TMZ has confirmed that his eldest daughter, Gianna 'Gigi' Bryant, was also killed in the accident. She was 13 years old.
ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski independently confirmed the report.
According to TMZ, the pair was traveling to the Mamba Academy in Thousand Oaks, California, for a basketball practice when the crash occurred. They were among at least five people confirmed dead in the accident, including another player and parent. Bryant's wife, Vanessa, is not thought to be among them.
Bryant's legacy not only in the NBA but across the world of sports cannot be understated, and he passed his love of the game on to Gianna. They had been spotted sitting courtside at NBA games in recent months, and Kobe had stated in the past that she aspired to one day play college basketball for UConn.
Sources: Kobe Bryant was on his way to a travel basketball game with his daughter Gianna when the helicopter crashed. Those aboard the helicopter also included another player and parent.- Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) January 26, 2020
- Which countries are most affected by severe seismic activity? New earthquake metric provides fresh perspective
- Exicom Tele-Systems to raise ₹429 cr via IPO; sets price band at ₹135-142/share
- Kawasaki Ninja 500 sports bike launched in India at ₹5.24 lakh
- Vodafone Idea board to meet on Feb 27 to consider fundraising proposal
- Stocks rebound: Sensex jumps over 500 points, Nifty hits fresh high