Kobe Bryant's daughter Gianna 'Gigi' Bryant also died in the tragic helicopter accident that killed her father
Stephen R. Sylvanie-USA TODAY Sports
- NBA icon Kobe Bryant, 41, died in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California, on Sunday.
- His eldest daughter, Gianna 'Gigi' Bryant, was also killed in the accident, per TMZ and ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.
- She was 13 years old.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Los Angeles Lakers legend Kobe Bryant died Sunday in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California, at 41 years old.
TMZ has confirmed that his eldest daughter, Gianna 'Gigi' Bryant, was also killed in the accident. She was 13 years old.
ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski independently confirmed the report.
According to TMZ, the pair was traveling to the Mamba Academy in Thousand Oaks, California, for a basketball practice when the crash occurred. They were among at least five people confirmed dead in the accident, including another player and parent. Bryant's wife, Vanessa, is not thought to be among them.
Bryant's legacy not only in the NBA but across the world of sports cannot be understated, and he passed his love of the game on to Gianna. They had been spotted sitting courtside at NBA games in recent months, and Kobe had stated in the past that she aspired to one day play college basketball for UConn.
- Read more:
The sports world is reacting to the sudden and tragic death of Lakers legend Kobe Bryant
- Kobe Bryant says there are WNBA stars who 'could most certainly keep up' in the NBA
- Kobe Bryant, 41, dies in helicopter crash in Calabasas, California
- Giannis Antetokounmpo says the Zion Williamson has put the NBA on notice: 'The whole league knows you're going to be a beast'
Sources: Kobe Bryant was on his way to a travel basketball game with his daughter Gianna when the helicopter crashed. Those aboard the helicopter also included another player and parent.- Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) January 26, 2020
- Sam Altman, who was already wealthy before starting OpenAI, reportedly doesn't own any equity in the company behind ChatGPT
- Five planets will stage a rare spectacular event in the night sky on March 28
- Elon Musk reportedly left OpenAI's board in 2018 after Sam Altman and other cofounders rejected his plan to run the company
- Crompton Greaves Consumer Electricals and kitchen appliance maker Butterfly announce merger
- ICMR comes up with first ethical guidelines for application of AI in biomedical research, healthcare
- Measures taken by IIFCL to keep bad loans under check: Parliamentary panel
- Microsoft adds 'AI-generated stories' to its Bing search
- Housing sales up 14% annually in Jan-Mar to 1.13 lakh units across top 7 cities: Anarock