LSU coach Kim Mulkey said 'If I was watching this game, I'd turn it off' after her team made the Final Four despite awful shooting
- The LSU Tigers took down the Miami Hurricanes 54-42 to reach their first Final Four in 15 years.
- Head coach Kim Mulkey was unimpressed with her team for shooting 30.2% from the field.
Kim Mulkey is headed to the Final Four, but she's still not impressed.
The Hall of Fame head coach looked on in apparent dismay as her third-seeded LSU Tigers struggled with their offensive production in Sunday's Elite Eight matchup against the No. 9 Miami Hurricanes. And even as the Tigers pulled away to secure the 54-42 win and their first Final Four appearance in 15 years, they did it in spite of their horrific shooting performance on the night.
"If I was watching this game, I'd turn it off," Mulkey said after the final buzzer sounded. "Look at that score, would you? That's some bad offensive basketball."
She's right. In fact, LSU's 54 points marks the team's lowest scoring output all season. The Tigers made just 30.2% of their shots from the field. And it was even worse from downtown, where LSU made just one of its 12 attempts.
Fortunately for the Tigers, Miami similarly struggled with the ball. The Hurricanes shot slightly better than LSU from the floor, at 31.6%, but their three-point shooting was, quite literally, nonexistent. Miami went 0-for-15 from range.
"I mean, if you like defense, effort, scrappy intensity, it was a great game," Hurricanes head coach Katie Meier said in her postgame press conference. "If you like three-point shooting, not a very entertaining game."
"One for 27, is that right?" she added. "Total?"
The Tigers are now headed to Dallas for the Final Four. And when it comes to facing the No. 1 Virginia Tech Hokies for a spot in the national championship game, Mulkey offered a simple piece of advice to her squad:
"Make free throws and layups," she said.
—Mike Scarborough (@ScarboroughMike) March 27, 2023
- ISRO lines up an LVM3, six PSLV, three GSLV launches in 2024
- Maruti Suzuki to Hyundai – car makers offer huge year-end discounts to push sales
- Demand for private credit booms in 2023 as funding winter deepens
- Oppo Find N3 Flip long term review - The end game for flip smartphones
- Hiring activity for white-collar jobs dips 12% during Oct-Nov