Novak Djokovic applauded his opponent after he hit a stunning cross-court tweener at the French Open
- Novak Djokovic faced Mikael Ymer in the opening round of this year's French Open.
- Though Djokovic beat Ymer in straight sets, the 24-year-old Swede had the point of the match.
- After Ymer hit a brilliant, cross-court tweener past Djokovic to win a point midway through the second set, the top-ranked tennis superstar smiled and applauded his opponent's efforts.
Novak Djokovic may have handily won his opening-round match at the French Open, but his opponent had the point of the contest — if not the entire tournament so far.
Midway through the second set of the world's top-ranked men's tennis star's match against Mikael Ymer Tuesday, the 24-year-old Swede hit a sensational, cross-court tweener while charging towards the back of the court to win the point after a hard-fought rally. Djokovic appeared to have Ymer beat with a drop shot near the baseline after the young star charged the net for a volley, but Ymer recovered brilliantly to complete the highlight-reel play.
Take a look:
—Roland-Garros (@rolandgarros) September 29, 2020
After the point, Djokovic smiled and applauded Ymer for his efforts as the 17-time Grand Slam champion prepared for his next serve. Djokovic — who has as good a chance as anyone to dethrone Roland-Garros king Rafael Nadal at this year's tournament — went on to defeat Ymer 6-0, 6-2, 6-3 and advance to a second-round matchup Lithuanian Ričardas Beranki on Thursday.
- Read more:
- Tennis' biggest stars are unhappy with the French Open's new balls that 'you wouldn't give to a dog to chew'
- Novak Djokovic took home $12 more than women's Italian Open winner Simona Halep in 'petty' display of gender pay disparity in tennis
- Victoria Azarenka was so focused on beating Serena Williams in the US Open that she didn't flinch when a fly walked across her face
- How Naomi Osaka rose to the top of the tennis world to become a 3-time Grand Slam champion and a leading voice for social justice
- I bought a car wash at 22 years old. It basically runs itself — and I make $5,500 in passive income each month.
- Companies say Elon Musk's plan to charge $1,000 for month for Twitter checkmarks is 'outlandish' and makes them 'meaningless'
- A lawyer who quit to become an OnlyFans performer says she now makes more money and is happier
- Apple releases updates for iPhone, Watch, and Mac: Here’s what’s new in macOS Ventura 13.3, iOS 16.4, and watchOS 9.4
- Revolutionising the workplace: How RPA is transforming business processes
- China now bails out countries after pushing them into 'debt-trap'
- IPL 2023 – schedule, how to watch IPL for free, venues, new rules and more
- Fired H1B visa holders have 'multiple options', wrong to assume they have to leave in 60 days: USCIS director