Sports gamblers bet more than $1 billion in New Jersey over a single month, breaking national records
New Jerseytook over $1 billion in sportsbets this September, setting a new national record.
- Atlantic City's casinos and racing tracks collectively netted $82.4 million in revenue.
Sports gamblers in New Jersey placed over $1 billion in bets last month, setting a new national record. Since the beginning of this year, bettors have waged a total of $7.1 billion in the state, according to records from the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement.
The start of college and professional
Out of the $1 billion waged on sports events, Atlantic City's casinos and racing tracks collectively netted $82.4 million in revenue this September.
The Meadowlands Racetrack, which hosts horse races and offers both in-person and online betting, accounted for approximately half of the state's total revenue. Football wagers last month won New Jersey sportsbooks a total of $10.3 million.
Over 90% of September sports bets in New Jersey were placed online, with a little under $92 million worth of bets placed in person. The state's digital sportsbooks capitalize on nearby gamblers from New York City, where online sports betting is not yet legal.
Completely online sports betting that doesn't require in-person registration is only legal in 17 US states, according to US Bets. Idaho, Wisconsin, and Utah are some of the only states not pursuing mobile betting options.
Online gambling in New Jersey has skyrocketed by nearly 40% since last year when many sports events were canceled due to COVID-19. Atlantic City Casinos closed in March 2020 and reopened four months later with operating restrictions.
Industry leaders in the space are hoping this year's
"Everybody is betting that this NFL season is going to be their magical springboard to post NFL," Larry Everling, a sports gaming consultant, told Rodriguez. "They're forced to spend."
- Crypto FAQs answered — everything you need to know about crypto regulations, trading, taxes and CBDC in India
- Google and Microsoft hiring interns in India — Check out eligibility, job descriptions and other details
- AWS appears to be down, and it's taken popular services like Ring smart-home systems, Netflix, and Disney+ with it
- Twitter acquires Slack-like communication app Quill
- Sensex rallies over 700 points in early trade; Nifty tops 17,350 — HCL Tech, Infosys, Bharti Airtel, Tech Mahindra, L&T, Reliance Industries and ICICI Bank
- Realme GT 2 Pro with Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 to launch in India on Dec 9, could be priced over ₹59,500
- Here’s how you can make voice and video calls from the Gmail app
- Army helicopter carrying senior defence officials crashes in Tamil Nadu