The saga of a brutal attack by masked men on a French soccer star took a fresh twist when she was accused of an affair with a married man
- The saga of an attack on French soccer player Kheira Hamraoui took another twist on Friday.
- Hamraoui had called ex-Barcelona star Eric Abidal on the day she was attacked by masked men with iron bars.
- Now Abidal's wife says she will file for divorce, alleging he had an affair with Hamraoui.
The saga surrounding an assault on a French soccer player took another twist on Friday when it was reported that she was believed to be having an affair with an ex-player who was this week questioned over the attack.
Kheira Hamraoui, who plays for Paris Saint-Germain Feminine and the French national team, was dragged from a car and beaten by masked men with iron bars earlier this month.
The attack left her with severe bruises on her legs, and she has missed both her side's matches since the attack.
—El Chiringuito TV (@elchiringuitotv) November 17, 2021
A teammate was arrested over the attack, then released without charge
News of the attack first broke when it was announced that Hamraoui's teammate Aminata Diallo had been arrested in connection with the assault.
Hamraoui was in Diallo's car when the attack took place on the evening of November 4, the pair having attended a team meal together.
It was initially suspected that the attack was orchestrated by Diallo, with reports in France suggesting that Diallo had wanted to prevent Hamraoui from being able to play.
Diallo was later released without charge and that avenue of investigation was closed.
Barcelona legend's wife files for divorce over apparent affair with Hamraoui
This week, however, it was confirmed by police that Eric Abidal, a former player for both Barcelona and France's men's teams, was to be questioned in connection with the attack on Hamraoui.
Police told reporters Monday that Abidal would be "quizzed soon" over the attack, per ESPN. They added that Abidal's wife, Hayet, may also be questioned.
Abidal's lawyer the released a statement saying that he would "come forward to answer all the questions that will be asked to him," but that he also strongly denied any suggestion of wrongdoing.
According to ESPN, Hamraoui had called Eric Abidal on the morning of her attack.
Prior to re-signing with PSG Feminine in 2021, Hamraoui played for FC Barcelona's women's team. Her tenure in Spain overlapped with Abidal holding the position of sporting director at the club.
On Friday, the story of Hamraoui's attack became even more complex, with Hayet Abidal announcing that she plans to file for divorce from Eric, and alleging that he had an extramarital affair with Hamraoui.
According to an AFP report on French website RMC Sport, which cites a statement from Hayet Abidal's lawyer, Eric Abidal "confessed to his wife to having an adulterous relationship with Madame Hamraoui."
Abidal admitted to the affair, the AFP reported, after police asked to question him and took his phone. He will make no public comment at this time, his lawyer told the AFP.
According to a report from French newspaper L'Equipe, during the attack on Hamraoui she was subjected to a barrage of insults by her assailants. L'Equipe reports that among those insults was a reference to a "married man."
Hayet Abidal has not been arrested, and it remains unknown if she has even been questioned by police.
- WhatsApp introduces the “Message Yourself” feature, working on voice status updates and more
- Live your life American Express’ Platinum way: Exceptional privileges, rewards and experiences
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- India will succeed in handling inflation better: Sitharaman
- India's GDP growth comes in at 6.3% in Q2: manufacturing, mining witness negative growth
- Dharmaj Crop Guard IPO subscribed by a whole 35.49 times on last day
- Sensex, Nifty50 rewrite all-time highs yet again – RIL, HDFC twins most active, ICICI Bank touches new 52-week high
- Bollywood films failing is a phase, our films will bounce back strongly: Kajol