World champion US skier Kyle Smaine dies in an avalanche in Japan at age 31
- Champion US skier Kyle Smaine died in an avalanche in Japan on Sunday.
- Smaine was skiing with a group of Americans and Austrians when the avalanche crashed down on them.
US world champion skier Kyle Smaine was killed in an avalanche in Japan on Sunday while backcountry skiing, according to multiple reports.
The professional freestyle skier was 31 years old.
Smaine, a California native, had gone to Japan on a marketing trip for Ikon Pass and Nagano Tourism, according to the Mountain Gazette.
NBC News reported that Smaine went skiing Sunday afternoon in Nagano Prefecture on Japan's Honshu island with two other Americans and a group of Austrians they encountered on the slope.
At least five men were caught in an avalanche that crashed down suddenly on the eastern slope of Mount Hakuba Norikura, a local police spokesperson confirmed to Reuters.
"We heard the crack. We realized it is a big one. We started running and then we got hit," one skier who was with Smaine told the Mountain Gazette.
Smaine's father confirmed to NBC News that he died in the avalanche. One member of the Austrian group, who has not yet been identified, also died, according to the Mountain Gazette.
Kyle Smaine won the halfpipe gold medal at the 2015 Snowboarding World Championships. Fellow athletes paid tribute to the champion on social media after word spread of this death.
Travis Ganong, a World Cup skier and Olympian from the US, wrote on Twitter, "Heartbroken to hear of the passing of my friend... He loved skiing more than anyone I knew, you will be missed."
- Durjoy Datta tweets about Paytm UPI LITE making payments faster and easier, fellow author Ravinder Singh responds
- OnePlus Nord CE 3 leaks ahead of launch – specs, expected launch date and more
- JPMorgan Chase thought it had $1.3 million worth of nickel stored in a warehouse. A closer examination revealed bags of stones.
- Meet Rekha Rakesh Jhunjhunwala, the top Indian entrant in 2023 M3M Hurun Global Rich List
- Cyrus Poonawalla’s wealth grows as his health empire remains unlisted
- Adani Airports following investments as per plans submitted to govt: CEO
- Chinese leader Xi Jinping departs Russia but fails to achieve breakthrough in Ukraine conflict
- Healthcare, consumer goods minted the most Indian dollar billionaires