The best yoga mats you can buy
The Insider Picks team writes about stuff we think you'll like. Business Insider has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase.
- The first piece of gear you need to begin your yoga practice is a great yoga mat.
- Of all the yoga mats we've researched, the Manduka ProLite Yoga Mat is the best with its closed-cell surface that keeps out sweat and its dotted texture that keeps your hands and feet from slipping out of position during downward facing dog.
If you've ever done yoga before, you know that not all yoga mats are created equally. Each style and material caters to a different set of needs and goals, and subtle design changes can either help or hurt your unique movement patterns and your usual aches and pains in any pose.
There are a number of factors to consider when you're looking for the yoga mat that best serves your needs. Size and portability are important to many yogis, mainly because you'll have to tote your mat along with you to the gym or yoga studio unless you do your practice in the comfort of your own home. Some mats are longer than others, so if you like long mats, take a peek at lengthier mats. Most people will be happy with the typical length.
While certain people like sticky mats that help their feet from sliding around, others find them annoying. Same goes with the relative thickness or thinness of the yoga mat. Most yoga mats are relatively slim, but others are thick for extra protection and cushion for your joints.
Durability and the types of materials involved are also key things to consider. You want a yoga mat that's going to last through the years, isn't made from strange chemicals, and is easy to wipe clean after a sweaty bout of hot yoga.
We scoured the internet for yogi reports and product reviewer feedback on this year's top-ranked yoga mats to put together this Insider Picks guide to finding the best yoga mat for you, depending on your priorities, from perfect pose alignment to eco-friendly materials.
Here are the best yoga mats you can buy:
- Best yoga mat overall: Manduka ProLite Yoga Mat
- Best yoga mat for perfectionists: Liforme Yoga Mat
- Best eco-friendly yoga mat: Prana ECO Yoga Mat
- Best affordable yoga mat: Gaiam Print Premium Yoga Mat
- Best lightweight yoga mat: Manduka eKO Superlight Travel Yoga Mat
- Best travel yoga mat: YoGo Travel Yoga Mat
Updated on 01/03/2019 by Malarie Gokey: Updated prices and formatting.
Read on in the slides below to check out our top picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.
The best yoga mat overall
The best yoga mat for perfectionists
The best yoga mat for the eco-friendly yogi
The best yoga mat for yogis on a budget
The best lightweight yoga mat
The best yoga mat for travel
Check out our other great guides for yoga gear
- Influencer marketing will be INR 900cr market in India by the end of 2021: Report
- Smaller crypto exchanges in South Korea will be closing their doors in the next 24 hours
- Powered by Unacademy and upGrad’s mega deals, Indian startups raised $10.8 billion in the last two months
- TVS Eurogrip denies speculation over signing a Rs 23 crore sponsorship deal with Chennai Super Kings
- Crypto market in the red as Solana remains the most heavily hit