Spouses of H-1B visa holders may lose work permits in the US
- Spouses of
H-1B visaholders are issued the H-4 visa in the US.
- Indians constitute 80 percent of the 125,000 H-4 visas issued in 2015.
- US wants to make this change to prevent “US workers from being displaced by foreign workers”.
AdvertisementAfter making the process of attaining an H-1B visa harder, the
H-4 visa holders are basically dependents of the H-1B visa holders. And, currently, the largest beneficiaries of H-4 visas are Indians. They constitute 80 percent of the 125,000 H-4 visas issued back in 2015. Step back and you can see how such a move would impact women immigrants since one out of ten H-4 visas are issued to females.
This decision would force the H-4 visa holders back into, what were called, their ‘Golden Cages’. It was a metaphor for being able to live in the US but without the right to work within the country or get a social security number.
The situation was corrected two years ago, when the
Reports suggest that visa trouble won’t stop with H-1B and H-4 visas but also spill over onto the L-1B visa, which is issued to professionals with specialised knowledge. USCIS’ Cissna assures that the only reason any of this is happening is ”...to prevent US workers from being displaced by foreign workers.”
- RBI bars JM Financial Products from financing against shares, debentures
- UP govt approves proposal for formation of Uttar Pradesh State Capital Region on lines of NCR
- Popular Vehicles and Services to float IPO on March 12
- Nothing Phone (2a) smartphone debuts in India, priced starting at ₹23,999
- New variant of H5N1 bird flu spreads to marine mammals, heightening concerns for human transmission