Oil prices at 7-year high of $98 after Russia recognises breakaway rebel regions in Ukraine
The UK and several western allies have threatened sanctions on the country. Russia is the second largest exporter of crude oil after Saudi Arabia. It is also the world's top producer of natural gas.
The border tensions may have "substantial implications", Sue Trinh of Manulife Investment Management said.
Sanctions forcing Russia to supply less crude or natural gas would have "important impact on the global economy," she added, the report said.
Western powers fear
The self-declared People's Republics of Donetsk and Luhansk are home to Russia-backed rebels who have been fighting Ukrainian forces since 2014.
Russia's move effectively ends peace talks in the region, which has been under a tenuous ceasefire for years.
Equity investors were just as jittery about the developments which come as the global economy is still recovering from the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
Japan's Nikkei 225 index slipped over 2 per cent. The Shanghai Composite was 1.4 2 per cent lower by mid-day.
AdvertisementFutures for the S&P 500 retreated 1.6 per cent. That of the Dow Jones index fell 1.4 per cent, while Nasdaq 100 futures gave up 2.2 per cent.
A possible war is at the forefront of investors' minds, said Song Seng Wun, an economist at CIMB Private Banking, BBC reported.
Indian government orders blocking of apps, website, social media accounts linked to Sikhs For Justice
Instagram nudges users to use the app more, removes lower daily limit options aimed at helping users limit their usage
Popular on BI
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- Germany relaxes Schengen visa rules for Indians
- Kanye West says he's selling Balenciaga, Adidas, and Gap hoodies for $20 after the companies all cut ties with him
- WhatsApp rolls out contact cards sharing on Windows beta
- FIFA WC: Lionel Messi doing well, says Argentina manager Scaloni amid injury concerns
- ADB, Wabag sign USD 25 mn debt facility for sanitation, water security in India
- RBI pauses onboarding of online merchants by Paytm Payments Services; firm says no material impact on biz
- Over 50% of microbusinesses had no mechanisms to cushion Covid impact, Road to Recovery report says