Oil prices at 7-year high of $98 after Russia recognises breakaway rebel regions in Ukraine
The UK and several western allies have threatened sanctions on the country. Russia is the second largest exporter of crude oil after Saudi Arabia. It is also the world's top producer of natural gas.
The border tensions may have "substantial implications", Sue Trinh of Manulife Investment Management said.
Sanctions forcing Russia to supply less crude or natural gas would have "important impact on the global economy," she added, the report said.
Western powers fear
The self-declared People's Republics of Donetsk and Luhansk are home to Russia-backed rebels who have been fighting Ukrainian forces since 2014.
Russia's move effectively ends peace talks in the region, which has been under a tenuous ceasefire for years.
Equity investors were just as jittery about the developments which come as the global economy is still recovering from the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
Japan's Nikkei 225 index slipped over 2 per cent. The Shanghai Composite was 1.4 2 per cent lower by mid-day.
AdvertisementFutures for the S&P 500 retreated 1.6 per cent. That of the Dow Jones index fell 1.4 per cent, while Nasdaq 100 futures gave up 2.2 per cent.
A possible war is at the forefront of investors' minds, said Song Seng Wun, an economist at CIMB Private Banking, BBC reported.
Indian government orders blocking of apps, website, social media accounts linked to Sikhs For Justice
Instagram nudges users to use the app more, removes lower daily limit options aimed at helping users limit their usage
Popular on BI
- An overlooked group of borrowers will be hit hard as student loan repayments resume, former Fed economist says
- TikTok's strategy for US dominance is straight out of Amazon's playbook — but creators are the fuel for its flywheel
- Robin Williams' daughter says she finds AI recreations of her father's voice 'personally disturbing'
- Survey shows people find no improvement in public toilets across country
- Sebi extends deadline for listed cos to confirm or deny market rumours
- Tom Hanks, a dental plan promotion and an AI
- New 'inverse vaccine' shows potential to treat multiple sclerosis, diabetes: Study
- TDP leaders stage hunger strike In Delhi against arrest of Chandrababu Naidu