Ruchi Soya stock tanks after the Baba Ramdev-backed company announces ₹4,300 crore FPO at a 35% discount
Ruchi Soyais one of the leading edible oil makers in the company.
- It is backed by Baba Ramdev’s Patanjali, which owns a 98.9% stake in the oil maker.
- Ruchi Soya’s shares have surged over 43% in the last one month.
AdvertisementRuchi Soya’s shares tanked during the first half of the trade today after the Baba Ramdev-backed edible oil maker announced a follow-on public offer (FPO), looking to mop up ₹4,300 crore from the market at a discount of 35%.
As of 12:50 p.m., on March 21, Ruchi Soya’s shares were down by over 8%, after recovering from a big slump of 17% earlier in the day.
Ruchi Soya’s shares have seen a massive bull run in the past one month, gaining over 43% in the period. Every ₹10,000 invested in the company on February 23 was worth ₹14,325 on March 15.
Today’s fall could be due to two reasons – short-term traders exiting the stock after booking healthy profits, and the ₹4,300 crore FPO that is fixed at a discount of 35%.
According to the company’s exchange filings, the price band for the ₹4,300 crore FPO is between ₹615-650. Even at the upper band of ₹650, it is at a discount of 35% to the closing price on Thursday, March 17.
What is an FPO?
FPO, short for follow-on public offering, is one of the ways for listed companies to raise additional capital.
As the name suggests, it is a follow-on offering – any public issue of shares to investors after the initial public offering (IPO) is an FPO.
There are two types of FPOs – dilutive and non-dilutive. Dilutive FPOs are those in which new equity shares are issued, and post issue, the shareholding of the existing investors gets diluted in percentage terms.
Non-dilutive FPOs are those in which existing equity shares held privately are offered to the public.
The Ruchi Soya FPO is dilutive.
Why is Ruchi Soya coming out with an FPO?
Ruchi Soya’s parent company, Patanjali, owns 98.9% of the total shares of the company, leaving only 1.1% to the public.
Since Ruchi Soya is a listed company, it has to have at least 25% of the total shares held by the public, according to the norms outlined by the Securities Exchange Board of India (SEBI), the market regulator.
To bring down the promoter holding, Ruchi Soya has now come out with the ₹4,300 crore FPO after receiving approval from SEBI in August last year.
Maruti, Tata, Hyundai and others to give a big push to India’s electric vehicle boom with at least $5 billion in investment in the next six years
Adani group, IOC, BPCL, HPCL, Reliance, HDFC and other hot stocks on March 21
India’s cryptocurrency tax kicks in from April – here’s what investors need to know
Popular on BI
- Elon Musk's brain-chip startup shares video it says shows a monkey telepathically 'typing'
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Herschel Walker's son says Trump called his father for months demanding that he run, while 'everyone with a brain' begged him not to
- 1,330 recognised startups from gaming and related sectors as on Nov 30: Som Parkash
- Sula Vineyards to open IPO next week from Dec 12-14; GMP already at ₹70 per share
- India to add 9 million gig jobs by 2025 says Indeed report
- From Brahmastra to KGF: The most searched movies on Google in 2022 in India
- Adjusted for inflation, policy rate still remains accommodative, says RBI Governor