A 17-year-old Wall Street Bets enthusiast poured nearly all of his savings into Chamath Palihapitiya-backed Clover Health - and now stands to lose it all as the stock struggles
- A 17-year-old boy from Michigan stands to lose all his money after going all in with Clover, as reported by Bloomberg.
- He followed the advice of
Chamath Palihapitiya, who backs the company.
- As of Thursday, Clover's stock is still suffering, trading at $7.24 to its lowest since it debuted.
One of those is 17-year-old Arnav Naik who lives in Troy, Michigan.
As Bloomberg reported, Naik got into SPACs, or special purpose acquisition companies, after his high school transitioned to remote learning during the pandemic.
Naik said he starting reading through
But when he saw Palihapitiya tweet about
In January, he put almost all his money into Clover call options, telling himself that if the stock went up, his investment could balloon to $130,000.
"When you slap a name like 'Chamath' on there, it has a lot of potential to rocket up, like how Tesla did with Elon," he told Bloomberg. "He's going to join the WallStreetBets meme god pantheon."
The problem is, Clover wasn't doing very well.
In February, short-seller Hindenburg Research published a report that accused Clover of misleading its investors, customers, and the federal government.
As a result, Naik lost almost all his money, Bloomberg reported, and unless Clover rebounds, the teenager will see his investment recover.
Yet his faith in the billionaire investor remains unshaken. He even said he wants to become an investment banker in the future.
"He's doing the best he can," he told Bloomberg. "It'll keep growing. I really think I'll get a huge return."
Unlike Naik, Palihapitiya and other hedge funds made millions from betting on Clover - and have already moved on.
As of Thursday, Clover's stock is trading at $7.24 to its lowest since it debuted.
- No crypto ban in India — SEBI will reportedly be pulled in to regulate the sector
- I tried a calendar that's meant to boost productivity by mapping out the number of weeks you have left to live — here's how it went
- I wore the same outfit for a week, as part of a productivity hack promoted by Steve Jobs — but it didn't really work. After speaking to psychologists, I'm not surprised.
- Dell Latitude 7320 Review — A good-looking compact convertible let down by the keyboard
- SaaS firm RateGain’s IPO opens tomorrow — should you invest?
- Global digital advertising accounted for 64.4% of all advertising in 2021, up from 60.5% in 2020: GroupM report
- After Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Maruti Suzuki, now Tata Motors increases price of its vehicles from January
- 44 key areas, a national framework, and a multi-institutional approach — Here's what you need to know about India's new National Blockchain Strategy