A mysterious dogecoin whale who owns $15 billion of the cryptocurrency added another 420.69 coins
- 420.69 dogecoins were added to the world's largest
dogecoin addresson Tuesday.
- No one knows who is behind the address, but the address may have just signaled they are in tune with the jocular spirit of dogecoin, making a nod to meme numbers "420" and "69."
- The address currently holds 36.7 billion dogecoins worth $14.7 billion.
420.69 dogecoins were just added to the world's largest dogecoin holder, furthering speculation around the identity of the mysterious "whale" who has loaded up on the meme cryptocurrency for two years.
Data from Bitinfocharts shows that on May 18, the
The address has accumulated 36.7 billion dogecoins since 2019 and now holds about 28% of the total dogecoin supply. With the meme token at $0.3937, the address' dollar amount currently stands at $14.7 billion.
Investors have been pondering for months who or what is behind the doge wallet. The address could belong to an individual, a market maker, or an exchange, though the nod to the meme numbers "420" and "69," hint that a person who is in on the joke is making the purchases.
According to Noelle Acheson, CoinDesk's head of research, a cryptocurrency exchange address would have inflows and outflows. She points out that this address has only been accumulating doge. The address sold 100 million coins on April 12, but that was its only sale in 2021.
Some online forums have speculated the address belongs to the "dogefather" himself, Elon Musk. The address added 28.061971 dogecoins three separate times, which reference Elon Musk's birthday on June 28, 1971.
Though those transactions could simply be a homage to Musk rather than completed by Musk himself. The Tesla CEO warned in February that the biggest risk facing dogecoin is it's extreme concentration among just a handful of digital wallets.
On Thursday Dogecoin spiked 15% in a matter of minutes on Musk published another yet another cryptic tweet referencing the meme cryptocurrency.
The coin has since pared back gains from but is still sitting up 6,500% year-to-date.
Read more: 7 crypto heavyweights told us what's behind the sudden sell-off that erased over $400 billion from the market in just 24 hours - and whether now is the time to 'buy the dip'
- Sebi to boost disclosure norms; do away with permanent board seats for individuals
- Here are the ten big income tax rule changes that will come into effect from April 1
- Not just for OTT, people rely on digital to discover & engage with content across TV and movies: BCG-Meta Report
- SPC Lifesciences files draft papers with SEBI for IPO
- Sensex rallies 346 pts, Nifty near 17,100 on firm global markets