A mysterious dogecoin whale who owns $15 billion of the cryptocurrency added another 420.69 coins
- 420.69 dogecoins were added to the world's largest
dogecoin addresson Tuesday.
- No one knows who is behind the address, but the address may have just signaled they are in tune with the jocular spirit of dogecoin, making a nod to meme numbers "420" and "69."
- The address currently holds 36.7 billion dogecoins worth $14.7 billion.
420.69 dogecoins were just added to the world's largest dogecoin holder, furthering speculation around the identity of the mysterious "whale" who has loaded up on the meme cryptocurrency for two years.
Data from Bitinfocharts shows that on May 18, the
The address has accumulated 36.7 billion dogecoins since 2019 and now holds about 28% of the total dogecoin supply. With the meme token at $0.3937, the address' dollar amount currently stands at $14.7 billion.
Investors have been pondering for months who or what is behind the doge wallet. The address could belong to an individual, a market maker, or an exchange, though the nod to the meme numbers "420" and "69," hint that a person who is in on the joke is making the purchases.
According to Noelle Acheson, CoinDesk's head of research, a cryptocurrency exchange address would have inflows and outflows. She points out that this address has only been accumulating doge. The address sold 100 million coins on April 12, but that was its only sale in 2021.
Some online forums have speculated the address belongs to the "dogefather" himself, Elon Musk. The address added 28.061971 dogecoins three separate times, which reference Elon Musk's birthday on June 28, 1971.
Though those transactions could simply be a homage to Musk rather than completed by Musk himself. The Tesla CEO warned in February that the biggest risk facing dogecoin is it's extreme concentration among just a handful of digital wallets.
The coin has since pared back gains from but is still sitting up 6,500% year-to-date.
- This Indian couple plans to get married in a Hogwarts-themed metaverse to beat the pandemic's restrictions
- Here are some of Netaji’s inspirational quotes as India remembers its valiant fighter
- Lifecycle of cryptocurrencies – From creation to trade and destruction
- Reliance Industries net profit more than triples in the last eight quarters to $2.8 billion
- Reliance Retail earns $1.3 billion more than its best-ever quarter