Adani Transmission, Adani Total Gas dropped by MSCI, stocks tumble 5%
- Two Adani group companies, Adani Transmission and Adani Total Gas were dropped by index provider MSCI on Friday in its scheduled quarterly review.
- Following the announcement, both the stocks tumbled by up to 5% each in morning trade.
- The Supreme Court is also expected to deliver its judgement in the Adani-Hindenburg row today.
AdvertisementTwo Adani group companies, Adani Transmission and Adani Total Gas were dropped by index provider MSCI on Friday following the scheduled quarterly review in May. Following the announcement, both the stocks tumbled by up to 5% each in morning trade.
“These two securities will no longer be eligible for inclusion in the MSCI Global Investable Market Indexes (GIMI) as the companies will not meet the relevant free float-adjusted market capitalization requirements,” MSCI said in a press release.
As a result of the MSCI index review, the two securities will also be deleted from the MSCI Factor, MSCI ESG, MSCI Thematic and MSCI Capped Indexes, it added.
The deletions of Adani Transmission and Adani Total Gas from the MSCI Global index will come into effect from May 31, 2023. This could result in outflows of up to $201 million and $186 million respectively, according to the analysts at Nuvama Alternative & Quantitative Research.
MSCI announced on Friday last week that it would lower the free float percentage of Adani Transmission to 10%, and Adani Total Gas to 14% in its May index review. The free float of both the companies was at 25% earlier.
MSCI’s indices are used by foreign investors and mutual funds, among others, and the free float cuts in the two Adani group companies could result in outflows of up to $222 million from overseas passive funds, according to IIFL Alternative Research.
Free float refers to the number of outstanding shares that foreign investors can buy or sell in public markets.
Supreme Court judgement in the Adani-Hindenburg row expected today
The Supreme Court is expected to deliver its judgement in the Adani-Hindenburg row on Friday. Ahead of the decision, all the ten Adani group companies experienced volatility, with 9 out of 10 stocks in the red in morning trade.
|Company||Current market price||Change in market cap|
|Adani Total Gas||₹812.3||- ₹5,224 crore|
|Adani Transmission||₹883.1||- ₹4,233 crore|
|Adani Green||₹898.55||- ₹2,640 crore|
|Adani Power||₹240.1||- ₹1,035 crore|
|Adani Ports & SEZ||₹706.4||- ₹555 crore|
|Adani Wilmar||₹394||- ₹171 crore|
|Ambuja Cements||₹411.6||- ₹113 crore|
|NDTV||₹182.5||- ₹2 crore|
|Adani Enterprises||₹1,988||₹521 crore|
|Total||- ₹12,730 crore|
Source: NSE, as on May 12, 2023
Three Adani stocks still down by over 50%
Three Adani group stocks are still down by at least 50% of their value since January 24 which was when US-based Hindenburg Research released its report on the group and said that it has taken short positions on its stocks. Adani Total Gas and Adani Transmission have declined the most, while Adani Power and Adani Ports & SEZ have been the most resilient.
|Company||Total decline since January 24|
|Adani Total Gas||-79%|
|Adani Ports & SEZ||-7%|
Source: NSE, as on May 12, 2023
Adani-Hindenburg row: Mauritian minister rejects shell company allegations
IPL 2023 scores over 1,300 crore video views on JioCinema in the first five weeks
AI to digitalisation and green energy: Supertrends defining investment for today and the future
Popular on BI
- An overlooked group of borrowers will be hit hard as student loan repayments resume, former Fed economist says
- TikTok's strategy for US dominance is straight out of Amazon's playbook — but creators are the fuel for its flywheel
- Robin Williams' daughter says she finds AI recreations of her father's voice 'personally disturbing'
- Survey shows people find no improvement in public toilets across country
- Sebi extends deadline for listed cos to confirm or deny market rumours
- Tom Hanks, a dental plan promotion and an AI
- New 'inverse vaccine' shows potential to treat multiple sclerosis, diabetes: Study
- TDP leaders stage hunger strike In Delhi against arrest of Chandrababu Naidu