An index that tracks every US stock outside the S&P 500 more than doubled the gains of the benchmark in 2020
- The S&P
Completion Indextracks every US stock that's not included in the S&P 500. It its up nearly 33% in 2020, more than double the benchmark's 14% gain.
- The completion index is typically associated with small and mid-cap stocks, but until this week, it counted one very high profile company among its top constituents: Tesla.
- Tesla's 665% gain in 2020 likely drove the completion index's ride upwards, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
A stock index that tracks all US stocks except those in the S&P 500 has returned more than double what the benchmark index earned this year.
The index, called the S&P Completion Index, is up nearly 33% this year, compared to a 14% gain for the S&P 500 during the same time period.
The completion index is typically associated with small and mid cap stocks that don't make it into the S&P 500. But one very high profile company was, until recently, counted among the constituents of the S&P Completion Index: Tesla.
Before the electric vehicle maker joined the S&P 500 on Monday, it was the darling of the completion index. Its 665% gain in 2020 likely drove the index's gains, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal.
The S&P Completion Index is up 2% since the beginning of this week. Meanwhile, the S&P 500 has stayed relatively flat in that same time period.
The completion index is also home to other 2020 star performers, including Zoom (up over 460% YTD), Square (up 272% YTD), and Moderna (up over 560% YTD). In total the index tracks 3,231 constituents, according to S&P Global.
- Reliance Industries will be hosting its 45th AGM this month — all your need to know
- Great Freedom Festival deals on kitchen products—buy induction cooker, microwave oven, mixer grinder, and more at discount
- Best Amazon deals on large appliances - AC, TV, Fridge, Washing machine, Dishwasher
- Best deals on fashion and beauty during Amazon Great Freedom Festival
- Best deals on furniture items during the sale