Big Tech's overwhelming market dominance is a 'very bearish sign' for both the economy and the biggest driver of stock gains, says top investing CEO
Richard Bernsteinrecently told CNBC that the market dominance of Big Techis a "very bearish sign" for the economy and corporate profits, which has historically been the largest driver of stock gains.
Richard Bernstein AdvisorsCEO pointed to the outperformance of the tech-heavy Nasdaqversus broader indexes, and said that narrow leadership in the market is "an end-of-cycle event."
- Broad market leadership is something that usually happens at the beginning of cycles, he said.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Richard Bernstein told CNBC on Thursday that Big Tech's market dominance is a "very bearish sign" for the economy and corporate profits, which has historically been the predominant driver of stock gains.
The tech-heavy Nasdaq is up 33% year-to-date while the
"If the Nasdaq is outperforming, it implies narrow leadership in the marketplace," Bernstein said. "And narrow leadership is an end of cycle event, not an early cycle event."
He added: "You really want it to be the exact opposite. Early cycles are dominated by broad market leadership."
The outsize performance of tech also manifested itself in the S&P 500 in the four-day span including and following the US presidential election. The information-technology and communication-services sectors spiked roughly 9% and 7%, respectively, over the period. Those were the biggest industry gains in the index.
Big Tech's market dominance has been a major topic on Wall Street after investors watched how quickly the S&P 500 rebounded off its lows in March. Many attribute a large portion of the market's recovery to the outperformance of a small group of mega-cap tech stocks that make up roughly a quarter of the market cap-weighted S&P 500. When
Bernstein told investors to run a "barbell strategy" in their portfolios against this backdrop. That involves owning
Read more: 'It is going to be very, very bad': Legendary investor Jim Rogers says the US debt load is creating a prime environment for a collapse — and warns the next market blow off will be worse than the Financial Crisis' 50% decline
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- The best wildlife photos of the year show a curious grizzly, dueling reindeer, and fish swimming through a cloud of sperm
- Trading app Public lists shiba inu coin on its trading platform as the Robinhood rival broadens crypto offerings
- Best TKL mechanical keyboards in India
- Buy Premium 2.1 channel speakers for audiophiles
- Best artificial flowers for living room decoration in India
- This Ethereum-based metaverse is letting crypto fans own land on the Red Planet, even though international space laws would disagree
- Unemployment rate in India sees a dip after a month