Bitcoin plummets 17% for its biggest drop since March as its record-shattering rally stumbles
Bitcoinplummeted as much as 17% on Monday, its biggest single-day decline since March.
- Bitcoin hit a record high of $34,792.47 on Sunday. The
cryptocurrencyhad soared by 171% in the fourth quarter and by 305% in 2020.
- Some analysts said that after the stellar gains of the past month, some crypto coins such as Bitcoin and
Ethereumwere due for a downward correction.
- Ethereum soared by as much as 22% on Monday as Bitcoin faltered.
Bitcoin plunged as much as 17% on Monday, its biggest single-day decline since March. It fell back below $30,000 at intraday lows after hitting a record high of $34,792.47 on Sunday.
The cryptocurrency is experiencing severe volatility on the heels of a 171% surge in the fourth quarter of 2020. Bitcoin also notched astronomical gains in 2020; its 305% return made it one of the top-performing assets of the year.
Meanwhile, Ethereum, the second-largest cryptocurrency by market capitalization after Bitcoin, rose by as much as 22%, to $1,161.36, its highest level since 2018. Ethereum performed even more robustly than Bitcoin in 2020, rising more than 600%.
"The long-term outlook for both bitcoin and Ethereum remains skewed to the topside," said Daniel Moss, an analyst at DailyFX. "However, both
Despite Bitcoin's Monday struggles, some experts expect a weak dollar, turbulence across traditional financial
A key catalyst in 2020 was the online payments company PayPal allowing its users to buy and sell Bitcoin across its platform.
- A Google recruiter says he discovered he'd lost his job after a call with one of his candidates suddenly disconnected
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- A Google engineer of 8 years says his 'spidey-senses' detected incoming layoffs — and felt 'isolated' when his 'faceless' severance email arrived
- DGCA slaps ₹10L fine on Go Air for leaving behind 55 passengers at B'luru airport
- Vedanta Q3 net profit drops 41% on higher input costs
- ED attaches 32 properties worth ₹70 crore in fraudulent TDS refund case
- RRR surpasses Cruise’s Top Gun 2 & Spielberg’s The Fabelmans in the top 10 movies of 2022
- Weekend OTTs: Ayushmann Khurrana’s ‘An Action Hero’ to ghost hunts with ‘Lockwood and Co’