Buzzfeed stock surges 200% on plans to use OpenAI to write stories
- BuzzFeed shares soared 203%, trading at an intraday high of $2.88 on Thursday.
- The media firm will churn out content with the help of the ChatGPT creator, and has inked a partnership with Meta.
BuzzFeed stock surged more than 200% on Thursday on reports that the digital media company is making moves to boost its editorial content using AI from the creator of ChatGPT.
Shares of the company were up as much as 203% Thursday, trading at $2.88.
Reports also said that Meta will pay BuzzFeed millions of dollars to bring more creators to Facebook and Instagram in a deal reached with the social media giant last year. The deal is part of partnership valued at nearly $10 million, according to the Wall Street Journal.
BuzzFeed will soon use artificial intelligence to enhance editorial content for its audiences, the Journal reported, citing a memo to staff from Chief Executive Officer Jonah Peretti on Thursday. The exec said the publisher would rely on ChatGPT creator OpenAI to personalize content like BuzzFeed's popular quizzes and listicles.
The company still remains focused on human-generated journalism, a spokesperson told the publication.
BuzzFeed, which went public via SPAC merger in 2021, has faced financial difficulties in recent years.
The company announced cuts to its news division in an effort to become more profitable last year, but the stock has continued to decline. BuzzFeed in December laid off 12% of its staff, axing around 180 roles.
- Seeking nominations for the 2024 rising stars of adtech
- Eli Lilly stock will surge 29% over the next year with its weight-loss drug on pace to do $60 billion in sales by 2030, BofA says
- A millennial who quit her office job to live in a school bus explains what her lifestyle costs and how she makes 6 figures freelancing
- Mukka Proteins IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- Know what are the 7 signs and symptoms of high cholesterol in your body
- Tata Motors to demerge biz into two separate listed companies
- Best drinks for constipation relief and digestive ease
- 10 Reasons why you should opt for plant-based diet