Chamath Palihapitiya leads $250 million investment in residential solar company Sunlight Financial
Chamath Palihapitiyatweeted he's leading a PIPE in residential solar company Sunlight Financial.
- Sunlight provides loans to homeowners for the installation of solar panels.
- Palihapitiya also announced he's leading a PIPE in
Latch, a building-management software start-up.
- Sign up here our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
After leaving his 783,800 Twitter followers on edge over the weekend, Chamath Palihapitiya finally announced his latest private investment in climate change on Monday morning.
The billionaire investor tweeted he's partnering with Apollo-affiliated Spartan Acquisition Corp (NYSE: SPRQ) and Coatue founder Philippe Laffont to lead a $250 million PIPE in Sunlight Financial, a "leader in the residential solar boom."Sunlight Financial is a fintech platform that provides affordable solar loans to homeowners in the US and provides solar contractors with a point of sale financing platform. Palihapitiya called Sunlight the "leading residential point of sale financing platform helping drive the shift to clean energy."
Read more: A portfolio manager who has invested in SPACs since 2007 recounts their evolution from 'financial backwater' then to 'feeding frenzy' today - and shares how to identify attractive ones, including 3 on his radarPalihapitiya highlighted that the adoption of residential solar power will expand "well-paying green jobs" around the US. He also said he sees a huge opportunity in residential solar, the TAM or total available market is $11 billion. Plus, the market is only 3% penetrated, leaving "many years of forward growth available," said Palihapitiya.
Upon the transaction with Spartan, the combined public company will be named Sunlight Financial Holdings. PIPE participants are expected to own approximately 19% of the company.
Palihapitiya also announced he is leading a PIPE in Latch, a maker of smart locks and building-management software. Latch will go public by merging with SPAC TS Innovation Acquisitions Crop, ($TSIA).Latch is the "best SaaS company I've ever seen/invested in," Palihapitiya said. His announcement comes just one week after he tweeted about the $415 million private investment he led in commercial EV company Proterra. He called that financing his "biggest investment in climate change."
- PM Modi speaks to Chief Minsters of Punjab, Karnataka, Bihar and Uttarakhand regarding COVID-19 situation in their respective states
- If you are feeling anxious and overwhelmed by the pandemic and the news around it, here are a few ways to calm yourself down
- Delhi extends lockdown till May 17, more strict restrictions to be imposed
- China's Long March rocket debris falls in Indian Ocean close to Maldives, ending days of uncertainty
- India crosses 4,000 mark of COVID deaths in a single day, total 2,42,362 fatalities reported so far