Change Healthcare surges 32% after news of $8 billion acquisition by UnitedHealth
- Shares of Change Healthcare gained as much as 32% on Wednesday after news that
UnitedHealth Groupis acquiring the health tech firm at about $7.8 billion on an equity basis.
- UnitedHealth will pay $25.75 per share in cash, which is a 41% premium over
Change Healthcare's Tuesday closing price of $18.24.
- Shares of UnitedHealth fell as much as 2.8% after the Wednesday opening bell but gained back those losses shortly after.
- Watch Change Healthcare trade live here.
After the acquisition, Change Healthcare will merge with
UnitedHealth will pay $25.75 per share in cash, which is a 41% premium over Change Healthcare's Tuesday closing price of $18.24. Including debt owed by Change Healthcare, the deal is worth around $13 billion. The companies said the transaction is expected to close in the second half of 2021.
Shares of UnitedHealth group fell as much as 2.8% after the Wednesday opening bell but pared back the losses. The stock is now hovering around $347 a share. As of noon on Wednesday, Change Healthcare has gained 51% over the last 12 months.
"Together we will help streamline and inform the vital clinical, administrative and payment processes on which health care providers and payers depend to serve patients," said Andrew Witty, President of UnitedHealth Group and CEO of Optum.
In other healthcare merger news, Walgreens Boots Alliance agreed to sell the majority of its pharmacy wholesale unit to AmerisourceBergen Corp for about $6.5 billion.
- Better.com CEO accused hundreds of the 900 people he laid off on Zoom of 'stealing' by working only 2 hours daily
- Crypto FAQs answered — everything you need to know about crypto regulations, trading, taxes and CBDC in India
- Indian government is reportedly looking to regulate work from home with a comprehensive framework
- India's income inequality is so bad that's weighing down the avg in both South Asia and SouthEast Asia
- Meet the Indian-origin women CEOs who are leading the way for major global companies
- SuperRare NFT sells for more than $2 million — a 20,000-fold increase in value over three years
- Microsoft to skill 1 lakh Indians in cybersecurity by 2022
- Love procrastinating? It can help you earn Rs 1 lakh by applying for Chief Excuse Officer at Cultbike.fit