Dow gains 210 points as AstraZeneca results boost COVID-19 vaccine optimism
stocksrose on Monday after AstraZeneca said its COVID-19 vaccine candidate demonstrated an average efficacy rate of 70%.
- It is the third COVID-19 vaccine said to have surpassed the Food and Drug Administration's requirement of 50% effectiveness.
- Watch major indexes update live here.
US stocks gained on Monday as investor optimism about the development of a successful COVID-19 vaccine remained elevated.
AstraZeneca said on Monday that its COVID-19 vaccine, developed in partnership with the University of Oxford, demonstrated an average efficacy rate of 70%. It said that while one dosing regimen was found to have an efficacy rate of 90%, another demonstrated an efficacy rate of 62%.
This is the third COVID-19 vaccine — joining the vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna — said to have surpassed the Food and Drug Administration's approval threshold of at least 50% efficacy.
Here's where US indexes stood shortly after the 9:30 a.m. ET market open on Monday:
- S&P 500: 3,580.82, up 0.7%
- Dow Jones industrial average: 29,473.41, up 0.7% (210 points)
- Nasdaq composite: 11,929.04, up 0.6%
Americans could begin receiving COVID-19 vaccines as early as December 11, an advisor to the White House's Operation Warp Speed initiative said, adding that about 70% of the population could be immunized by the summer.
Oil prices staged a rebound on Monday, hitting their highest levels since early September. The positive vaccine news suggested demand for oil could return sooner rather than later.
Bitcoin's strong rally to above $18,000 helped spur a surge in other cryptocurrency assets like ether and Ripple over the weekend.
Gold declined as much as 0.5%, to $1,862.64 per ounce.
- A laid-off Microsoft software engineer on an H1-B visa said she wonders 'where will I be living' with just 60 days to find a new job
- Mark Zuckerberg just ushered in a new era of tech, where profitability and efficiency trump perks and culture
- A Google engineer found out she had been laid off while she was on vacation when her boss sent her a LinkedIn message
- A young boy who thought his uncle’s scrapyard was heaven, now builds an online kabadiwala biz
- India's share in global oil demand expected to rise to 11%, gas to 500%: PM
- Bike Bazaar raises $10 million in series D funding round from German investment firm DEG
- Coke Studio India returns as Coke Studio Bharat - a look at the artists & line-up
- SRI-Bangalore engineers contribute to key innovations in Samsung Galaxy S23 series