Elon Musk overtakes Jeff Bezos as the world's richest person thanks to Tesla's surging stock
Elon Musksurpassed Jeff Bezosas the richest person on the planet on Thursday.
- "How strange," the
Teslaand SpaceX CEO tweeted. "Well, back to work."
- The Tesla chief has added more than $150 billion to his fortune in the past year, after shares in his electric-vehicle company rocketed up 740% in 2020.
wealthderives from his roughly 20% Tesla stake and 48% SpaceX stake, as well as 57 million exercisable Tesla stock options, Bloomberg says.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Elon Musk overtook Jeff Bezos as the world's wealthiest person for the first time on Thursday, based on calculations using the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
"How strange," the Tesla and SpaceX CEO tweeted in response to the news. "Well, back to work."Tesla shares closed 8% higher at $816 on Thursday, boosting the net worth of its CEO to over $186 billion. Meanwhile,
The Tesla CEO's fortune has ballooned by more than $150 billion in the past year, Bloomberg said, after the electric-vehicle company's stock price rocketed up 740% in 2020.Read more: Wall Street experts are calling Georgia's runoff results 'the first surprise of 2021.' Here's how 4 of them recommend positioning your portfolio for what could happen next. Musk and Bezos have left other billionaires in their rearview mirrors. The world's third-richest person, Bill Gates, was worth $132 billion as of Wednesday's close.
- TTD approves Rs 2,938-crore budget for 2021-22
- Wholesale growth expected to continue for tractors, passenger vehicles and two-wheelers, says equity research firm Emkay
- Centre finalises One District One Focus Product to promote in cluster approach
- A Mumbai-based EV startup launched the cheapest electric car with a 200 km range
- HP's worldwide shipments grow 5.6% in fourth quarter of 2020, says IDC