Facebook falls 5% after it says Apple privacy update led to negative performance for advertisers on the platform
- Facebook said it has underreported a performance metric for ads on Apple's iOS system.
- Apple issued its latest iOS update with privacy features on Monday.
View all Offers
Facebook shares dropped Wednesday after the social media heavyweight said it has underreported advertising-related performance stemming from privacy changes made by Apple on its mobile operating system.
Shares fell as much as 5% to $340.69 then trimmed the pullback to 4%.
Facebook said in its business blog that it's hearing from clients that their costs for advertising have increased and that it is becoming more difficult for them to measure the impact of their campaigns on its platform.
"In some cases, this is due to underreporting on our part. Our estimate is that in aggregate we are underreporting iOS web conversions by approximately 15%; however there is a broad range for individual advertisers," Facebook said.
iOS refers to Apple's mobile operating system, with iOS 15 launched on Monday. Apple continued rolling out privacy features for its system which include giving iPhone users the ability to block email tracking by advertisers. Facebook said it noted during its July earnings call that it expected iOS updates to have a greater impact in the third quarter compared with the second quarter.
Facebook said it believes "real world conversions," like sales and app installs, are higher than what's being reported for many advertisers. It said actions that it's taking include improving conversion modeling and stepping up investment ahead of the 2021 holiday season, a crucial period for advertisers.
"We're optimistic about our multi-year effort to develop new privacy-enhancing technologies that minimize the amount of personal information we process, while still allowing us to show personalized ads and measure their effectiveness," said Facebook.
- WhatsApp won’t work on these phones from November 1: Check the full list
- Shiba Inu hits another all-time-high — now more valuable than Adani Enterprises, Tata Steel and Tech Mahindra
- Shiba Inu is not only bigger than Dogecoin — it’s now bigger than XRP, Polkadot and USD Coin as the seventh-biggest player in the market
- Best budget external hard disk drives under ₹4,000 in India
- IRCTC will lose a chunk of its revenue to the Indian government starting next month
- EaseMyTrip makes its first acquisition in 13 years to strengthen its hotel offerings
- Portugal''s political fate uncertain after govt budget defeat
- Battlegrounds Mobile India gets Dune-themed rewards in new crossover