GOLDMAN SACHS: These 15 stocks offer cash returns at more than double the market average - and they're available at a discount
- David Kostin, the chief US equity strategist at Goldman Sachs, says he's brought together a group of S&P 500 stocks that return double the average company in the broader index.
- Kostin adds that the stocks have underperformed the index for the last few years despite their superior returns.
- The performance of those stocks has steadily gotten worse as investors got more optimistic about economic growth.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
It's a rare combination, but Goldman Sachs says you can get better-than-average returns from a few stocks while also buying them at better-than-average prices.
David Kostin, chief US equity strategist at Goldman Sachs, says he's identified a group of stocks that more than double the cash return of the median S&P 500 stock, which is currently 4.4%. Most of them pay hefty dividends, and some augment that by repurchasing large amounts of their stock every year.
And yet Kostin says those stocks have been collectively underperforming the S&P 500, as shown in the chart below. It shows the high-return stocks falling farther and farther behind the benchmark index over the last three years, with a few attempted rallies that didn't last long.
Put simply, these stocks that offer strong cash distributions can be found at a bargain.
And most recently, they've gotten even cheaper relative to the market as investors got more optimistic about the economy and resumed their preference for growth over higher-yielding stocks.
Listed below are Kostin's top 15 stocks. They're ranked from lowest to highest based on their yield, defined as dividend payouts and stock buybacks as a percentage of their market caps over the past 12 months.
Get the latest Goldman Sachs stock price here.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala