How ethereum got its name: Inside founder Vitalik Buterin's decision to name the world's most active blockchain after a medieval scientific theory
Vitalik Buterinused a medieval scientific theory as inspiration for the name of the ethereumnetwork.
- The blockchain's naming origins are detailed in Camilla Russo's book, The Infinite Machine.
Etheris the disproved concept that there's a subtle material that fills space and carries all light waves.
Vitalik Buterin was inspired by a medieval scientific theory when he came up with the name for the ethereum network, according to Camilla Russo, former Bloomberg journalist and founder of DeFi news platform, The Defiant.
In her 2020 book The Infinite Machine, Russo said that Buterin looked to science fiction terms for inspiration when he wrote the ethereum white paper in 2013.
Buterin was scrolling through Wikipedia when he came across the word "ether," and remembered this term from a science book he had read as a child.
Ether is the now disproved concept that there's a subtle material that fills space and carries all light waves. In the 19th century, scientists assumed ether was weightless, transparent, frictionless, undetectable chemically or physically, and permeated all matter and space, according to Britannica.
"Vitalik wanted his platform to be the underlying and imperceptible medium for every application, just what medieval scientists thought ether was," Russo said. "Plus, it sounded nice."
He landed on the word "ethereum," to describe the decentralized protocol.
"Ether" refers to the cryptocurrency of the
The theory of ether was abandoned by scientists after Albert Einstein formed the special theory of relativity in 1905, per Britannica. But the use cases for the ethereum protocol are just getting started, crypto experts say.
- In the digital age, chivalry is both dead and alive
- India’s T20 seam bowling options have distance to cover before World Cup 2024
- High profile divorces are stories of claims and counterclaims best settled outside court
- Traffic jams, roads inundated; Heavy downpour in Chennai causes disruption to normal life
- Outgoing CM to union ministers: Bigwigs who slipped in Assembly Elections 2023