Legendary investor Mark Mobius says the Fed will hike rates as high as 7% and tells investors to stick with stocks to protect against inflation
- Investors should hold stocks to protect against
inflation, Mark Mobiussaid in a CNBC interview.
- He said investors should have money in companies that can adjust to higher prices.
Investors should be in stocks to protect against inflation even with the
His interview took place two days after the Federal Open Market Committee raised the target on the fed funds rate for the first time since 2018 to combat hot inflation. Policymakers on Wednesday lifted rates by 25 basis points to a range of 0.25%-0.5%, embarking on the path it announced late last year toward battling inflation which has since risen to 7.9% as of February.
"[Anybody] who wants to protect themselves against this inflation must hold stocks. They must hold companies that are able to adjust their prices to inflation," said Mobius, a pioneer in emerging
The Fed's commentary this week suggested policy makers expect to raise the interest rate another six times this year and they see the benchmark rate reaching 2.8% in 2023.
"So, my thinking is that definitely, you're going to see higher and higher rates. And I expect to see rates in America go up to 6% or 7%," said Mobius. The Fed funds target rate hasn't been at 6% since 2001 under then-Chairman Alan Greenspan.
"But that doesn't mean the
The S&P 500 this year had dropped into a correction, or a fall of 10% or more from a recent high, in part as investors prepared for higher borrowing costs. Some analysts this week have issued notes showing the broad-market equity index can advance during rate-hiking cycles.
Independent research firm CFRA noted the FOMC this week launched its sixth rate-tightening cycle since 1994. The S&P 500 "fell all five times in the first 30 days following the initial hike since 1994, but recovered to a 80% frequency of advance by the six-month mark," wrote CFRA's chief investment strategist Sam Stovall.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala