Metaverse company Animoca Brands more than doubles in value to $5 billion after Soros and the Winklevoss twins back the Sandbox owner's latest funding round
Animoca Brandsraised $358 million in a funding round valuing the company at $5 billion.
metaversedeveloper got buy-in from Soros Fund Managementand the Winklevoss twins.
- Animoca is invested in more than 150 NFT-related companies, like CryptoKitties owner Dapper Labs.
Metaverse company Animoca Brands more than doubled its valuation after a $358 million funding round backed by the Winklevoss twins and
In a Tuesday press release, Animoca Brands, which is the majority owner of the popular metaverse game the
Liberty City Ventures led the recent fundraise with Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss' venture capital firm and the hedge fund founded by billionaire investor George Soros taking part. L2 Capital and 10T Holdings, among others, also participated, the statement said.
The company said it will use the funds for acquisitions, product development, and licenses for intellectual property.
Animoca brands is focused on the booming market of non-fungible tokens and the virtual gaming world known as the metaverse. The company is invested in more than 150 NFT-related businesses, including metaverse-game Axie Infinity, NFT-marketplace OpenSea, and CryptoKitties-maker Dapper Labs, among others.
Property sales in the up-and-coming metaverse -- a virtual reality where people interact as digital avatars to play games, buy land, and shop -- have boomed in the last year. One company bought a plot of land in the Sandbox for $4.3 million in 2021, for example.
Digital properties aren't the only fast-growing digital asset. The market for NFTs, or digital art tied to the blockchain, swelled to more than $41 billion in 2021, according to one estimate from blockchain data company Chainalysis.
- At least 21 people, mostly teens, were found dead in a South Africa bar. None of them had any visible wounds.
- Lay’s, Kurkure and Bingo are taking over Indian snacks like Aloo Bhujia, Murukku
- More than $100,000 raised for loyal Burger King employee of 27 years in GoFundMe campaign after video shows him getting 'goody' bag as reward
- Meet Akash Ambani — new chairman of Reliance Jio and owner of Mumbai Indians
- Best apps for Instagram hashtags and captions
- Akash Ambani to head Reliance Jio - that’s just phase I of Mukesh Ambani’s succession plan
- Maha crisis: Thackeray appeals to the rebels to come back
- Tata Motors to increase price of its commercial vehicle segment from July 1