Russia declines Germany's ruble payment for gas after cutting off supplies to Poland and Bulgaria, report says
Russia's Gazprombank turned down a ruble payment from a trading firm Germanyhad seized from Moscow, Bloomberg reported.
- The payment was for some April and May
gasdeliveries to Germany and Austria.
Russia's Gazprombank turned down a ruble payment from a trading firm Germany had seized from Moscow, sources told Bloomberg.
The payment for some April and May gas deliveries to Germany and Austria was rejected even though the trading firm — Gazprom Marketing & Trading (GM&T) — offered to pay in rubles, as Russian President Vladimir
GM&T previously was controlled by the German subsidiary of Russian state-run Gazprom, but Germany took over the unit in April. Now, the rejected ruble payment suggests Moscow looks to shut out a German-controlled GM&T.
The trading firm, which is among many that import gas to Germany, is still in talks with Gazprombank to push the transaction through, sources told Bloomberg.
The standoff comes as the Kremlin uses its
On Wednesday, Moscow halted natural gas supplies to Poland and Bulgaria, sending European gas prices up 28% and adding to concerns that Putin could target other nations on the continent. Gazprom said the reason for the gas halt is that both countries failed to pay in rubles.
Meanwhile, four European gas buyers have paid Russia in rubles for supplies, complying with Moscow's demands, according to Bloomberg, which also said 10 European countries have opened accounts at Gazprombank to make ruble payments.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Crude oil prices may hit $100/bbl after OPEC+ decision, say analysts
- Gufi Paintal, who played the ‘Shakuni Mama’ role in Mahabharat, dies at 79
- Sakshi Malik refutes reports she has withdrawn from wrestlers’ protest
- Here’s how urban and rural India is spending every ₹100 they earn
- ChatGPT iOS app vs website — The better experience and why