Short-seller Citron said its scheduled livestream on why GameStop buyers are 'suckers at this poker game' was halted by attempted Twitter hacks
Citron Researchsuspended a livestream meant to explain its short position on GameStopon Thursday.
- The short-seller said many attempts were made to hack its
- Citron's Andrew Left later posted a YouTube video, highlighting downside potential for the gaming retailer.
Short-seller Citron Research suspended a livestream event meant to explain its position on GameStop on Thursday, saying there were many attempts made to hack its Twitter account.
"Too many people hacking Citron twitter, will record and post later today," the account tweeted on Thursday. "$GME going to $20 buy at your own risk."
Andrew Left, Citron's managing partner, told Bloomberg in an interview that Twitter alerted him of someone trying to change his password. Twitter locked Citron's account as a safeguard and coordinated with the owner to restore it.
The renowned short-seller was scheduled to highlight reasons to sell the gaming retailer's stock in a livestream event on the same day. "Citron will livestream the 5 reasons GameStop buyers at these levels are the suckers at this poker game," the account tweeted earlier. "Stock back to $20 fast. We understand short interest better than you and will explain."
Read More: GOLDMAN SACHS: These 22 stocks still haven't recovered to pre-pandemic levels - and are set to explode amid higher earnings in 2021 as the economy recovers
Shares in GameStop rose as much as 9% in mid-day trading as the planned livestream was cancelled.
The trader expects GameStop to go back to $20 after consecutive gains following an update to its board of directors sent its shares 93% higher.
GameStop closed at $43.03 on Thursday, up roughly 140% year-to-date.
Read More: The chief investment strategist at a $9.6 billion volatility-focused money manager breaks down why the stock market is poised to get more chaotic in 2021 - and shares how investors can take advantage of it
- Elon Musk and more than 1,000 people sign an open letter calling for a pause on training AI systems more powerful than GPT-4
- The good news is, only old office buildings are doomed. The bad news is, that's 70% of them.
- Mobile payments pioneer Paytm ‘deeply rooted in India’ — social media users hail Paytm’s QR strength that powers India’s small merchants
- Musical Marathon: Backstreet Boys to Ultra music fests are ready to rock India in 2023
- IPL 2023 new rules – from two team sheets to impact player, here are the new rules
- Current Account Deficit narrows to 2.2% of GDP in Q3: RBI data
- No festive cheer for auto cos in March: PV sales ‘flattish’, 2Ws to see a slight uptick
- Star Sports gets a tech upgrade for IPL 2023: Dolby Atmos, Real-time Highlights, Ambience-only mode, and more explained