SIGN UP HERE FOR OUR TUESDAY EVENT: A conversation with Insider's markets gurus on the GameStop and Reddit-trader phenomenon
- Sign up here for a live chat with our
marketsteam on the recent market volatility caused by GameStop tradingchaos.
Stock markets around the world are reeling from Reddit traders' volatile trading over the past week. How the speculative activity continues could determine whether the trend pops with little lasting impact or sparks a new discussion over economic equality.
What began as an effort to profit from a short squeeze has since exploded into a national debate on market access. Retail traders coordinating on Reddit forums like r/wallstreetbets lifted GameStop, AMC, and other highly shorted stocks, hoping to profit as funds covered their
The group ultimately beat Wall Street at its own game. Their trades drove billions of dollars in losses across short-selling hedge funds and left Wall Street's old guard reeling.
Actions taken Thursday by several brokerages further stoked the day-trader movement.
Join us Tuesday, February 2, 2021 at 1:00 p.m ET as deputy editor Joe Ciolli, investing reporter Vicky Huang, markets and economy reporter Ben Winck discuss the
- Exploring India's majestic glaciers: 10 frozen wonders
- New fund alert: 'Axis India Manufacturing Fund'
- Anti-collision system KAVACH, Delhi-Kolkata, Delhi-Mumbai corridor to see completion in 2024-25: Vaishnaw
- Top 10 places to visit in India in December
- 10 Amazing health benefits of Aloe Vera