S&P 500 hits record high in 7th straight winning session amid strong earnings
- The S&P 500 notched its seventh straight win Thursday and marked a record high.
Nasdaq Compositealso gained, with Tesla stock rising on strong third-quarter earnings.
The S&P 500 closed higher Thursday, stretching its winning streak to seven sessions, as investors continue to sift through mostly positive third-quarter earnings reports and guidance so far from Corporate America.
The S&P 500 turned higher during the day, and the Nasdaq Composite finished with a win as well. Each found support from Tesla stock after the electric vehicle maker posted record revenue and profit in its third-quarter earnings report.
Here's where US indexes stood at 4:00 p.m. on Thursday:
- S&P 500: 4,549.78, up 0.3%
- Dow Jones Industrial Average: 35,603.08, down 0.02%
- Nasdaq Composite: 15,215.70, up 0.62%
Through early Wednesday, few companies have missed earnings expectations and most have logged revenue above analyst targets. Guidance has also been strong, with nearly 13% of companies raising their outlooks, according to Bespoke Investment Group.
"Guidance cuts are also extremely low versus history, though it's worth noting that for this sample of
"Regardless, we think it's fair to say that management teams are still in general feeling increasing confidence about the outlook despite an impressive string of optimistic quarters over the past year or so," said Bespoke.
Bond giant Pimco plans to gradually edge into trading in cryptocurrencies, its investment chief Daniel Ivascyn told CNBC.
WeWork stock climbed in its first day of trading, two years after efforts by the flexible-workspace company to launch an initial public offering crashed.
Gold slipped 0.1% to $1,779.64 per ounce. The 10-year Treasury yield rose to 1.678%.
Bitcoin retreated from a record high reached Wednesday, sliding 5% to $62,623.04 on Thursday.
- Exploring India's majestic glaciers: 10 frozen wonders
- New fund alert: 'Axis India Manufacturing Fund'
- Anti-collision system KAVACH, Delhi-Kolkata, Delhi-Mumbai corridor to see completion in 2024-25: Vaishnaw
- Top 10 places to visit in India in December
- 10 Amazing health benefits of Aloe Vera