Stocks could see continued gains in a low-volatility environment if the market's fear gauge breaks this key level
stock marketcould still have more upside ahead if Wall Street's fear gauge falls below a key technical level.
- If the
VIXundercuts 15, Katie Stockton of Fairlead Strategies expects a continued low-volatility environment for stocks, according to a Monday note.
volatility indexfell half a percent to the 15.34 level on Monday.
The stock market's record-setting year could continue into year-end if Wall Street's fear gauge falls below a key technical support level, Fairlead Strategies founder Katie Stockton said in a Monday note.
The CBOE Volatility index, known as the VIX, helps gauge the level of fear among investors and recently traded at 15.29 Monday morning.
"The VIX held support near 15 last week after a hard test, preserving its seven-month
But if the 15 support level doesn't hold for the VIX, that should be a bullish risk-on signal for stocks, according to Stockton. "A breakdown [below 15] would extend this low-volatility cycle."
The VIX has declined by 39% since its early October high of about 25. Over the same time period, the S&P 500 surged 6% to new record highs. A break below 15 wouldn't be out of the norm for the VIX, as it traded below that level for years prior to the pandemic.
Throughout much of 2017, the VIX ping-ponged between 10 and 15. The S&P 500 went on to return about 20% that year. And from 2018 to the beginning of 2020, the VIX traded below 15 for months at a time as the stock market continuously surged to record highs.
A lower VIX is one signal that often triggers systematic and quantitative investment funds to increase their leverage and add more exposure to stocks.
- WhatsApp introduces the “Message Yourself” feature, working on voice status updates and more
- Live your life American Express’ Platinum way: Exceptional privileges, rewards and experiences
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- India will succeed in handling inflation better: Sitharaman
- India's GDP growth comes in at 6.3% in Q2: manufacturing, mining witness negative growth
- Dharmaj Crop Guard IPO subscribed by a whole 35.49 times on last day
- Sensex, Nifty50 rewrite all-time highs yet again – RIL, HDFC twins most active, ICICI Bank touches new 52-week high
- Bollywood films failing is a phase, our films will bounce back strongly: Kajol