Tesla, Apple surge 5% to record highs as both companies prepare to split their stock
Teslaand Appleboth surged 5% to record highs on Friday as both companies prepare to split their stock next week.
- Tesla's stockholder record date is at the close of business Friday, while Apple's stockholder record date is Monday, August 24.
- After their respective record dates, Tesla and Apple's stock splits will go into effect and trade at their new split-adjusted price on August 31.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Both California-based, mega-cap, technology-focused companies surged around 5% to record highs on Friday.
For the week, Tesla is up 27%, while Apple is up 8%. And since the announcement of their respective stock splits, shares of Tesla are up 52%, and shares of Apple are up 27%, as of Friday afternoon trades.
The record moves for both companies come ahead of their prepared stock splits. Tesla will be enacting a 5-for-1
Tesla's stockholder record date is at the close of business Friday, while Apple's is at the close of business this coming Monday, August 24.
Read more: A JPMorgan equity chief sees stocks staying rangebound for another year, even if there's a vaccine breakthrough - but says investors can still get big returns in these 11 regions and sectors
The stockholder record date is when the company determines which shareholders are entitled to receive additional shares due to the split. It is simply a corporate bookkeeping task.
Investors who buy shares of Tesla after today's stockholder record date, but before the effective date, will still receive five shares for every one share they bought once the split is enacted on August 31. Ditto for Apple.
And while Tesla's market value of $378 billion just eclipsed Walmart's, it still has a long way to go to catch up to Apple's $2.03 trillion, according to data from YCharts.com.
This will be Apple's fifth stock split in its history, and Tesla's first.
- RBI extends deadline to exchange, deposit Rs 2,000 notes till Oct 7
- Explained: TCS on your child's overseas education and mitigating strategies
- From Pixel 8 to Galaxy S23 FE – smartphones launching in October 2023
- World Cup 2023 final squads – Ind, Aus, Eng and all the other teams
- Eating your way to clear vision: 10 foods for healthy eyes