Tesla's stock is now 'heavily tied' to the fate of bitcoin after the company's $1.5 billion purchase
- Tesla's $1.5 billion purchase of
bitcoinlast month means the company's stock is "heavily tied" to the digital currency, Wedbush analyst Dan Ives said in a note on Tuesday. Tesla stockhas dropped 21% since it announced its purchase of bitcoin earlier this month.
- "It's 'buckle up the seat belt time' again for Tesla's stock with more volatility on the horizon," Ives said.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
Tesla stock is "heavily tied" to bitcoin following its $1.5 billion purchase of the cryptocurrency last month, Wedbush analyst Dan Ives said in a note on Tuesday.
While Tesla's purchase of bitcoin represents a "small amount" of the company's overall cash position, perception is reality on Wall Street, with investors starting to tie bitcoin and the EV manufacturer "at the hip," Ives said.
In recent days, the swift drop in bitcoin has likely helped fuel a decline in shares of Tesla.Bitcoin has declined by more than 20% from its recent high of more than $58,000, and shares of Tesla have fallen more than 20% since it announced it purchased bitcoin on February 8.
But bitcoin represents a double-edged sword for Tesla, and could work out for the company in the long-term as more companies embrace the cryptocurrency."We continue to believe the bitcoin move was a strategic one for the long-term and will have a ripple impact as Square, Mastercard, MicroStrategy and now Tesla embrace bitcoin," Ives explained. Cathie Wood of Ark Invest likely agrees with Ives, given that ARK's ETF strategies have been buying the dip in shares of Tesla. Across all of its ETFs, Ark purchased more than 200,000 shares of Tesla amid its decline on Monday, according to Ark's daily trading log.
Wedbush reiterated its Neutral rating on Tesla and maintained its $950 price target for the company.
- Bihar has no governance, state budget a bundle of lies : Tejashwi in assembly
- Haryana to table anti-conversion bill in upcoming budget session: Minister
- Bihar saw 8-fold growth in budget size during both RJD and NDA regimes : Tejashwi
- MVA govt trying to curtail budget session citing pandemic: BJP
- Gangubai Kathiawadi: An inspiring journey of a brothel head and a political leader of Kamathipura