Twitter market value jumps more than $4 billion on news Jack Dorsey is stepping down as CEO; gains since erased
- Twitter stock jumped as much as 11% on news CEO Jack Dorsey is stepping down.
- Parag Agrawal, who has been Twitter's CTO since 2017, will be the company's new CEO effective immediately.
Shares climbed as much as 11%, to $52.27, before trading was temporarily halted for pending news. That amounted to $4.2 billion of market capitalization added at intraday highs. Twitter stock had already pared gains before a trading halt, and ended up erasing the entire gain by mid-day.
Dorsey also serves as CEO of Square, a payments technology and services company.
CNBC noted Twitter stakeholder Elliott Management last year wanted to replace Dorsey as CEO before the investment firm reached a deal with Twitter's management.
Elliott Management founder and billionaire investor Paul Singer has previously called for Dorsey to step down from one of his CEO roles, wondering if Dorsey should lead both companies.
- Akasa Air takes to the skies, flagged off by Civil aviation minister
- As FIIs come back, India's forex reserves rise by $2.4 bn
- Markets to keep a close watch on US and Indian inflation data
- Demand for tablets drops as online schooling ends
- Reliance Industries will be hosting its 45th AGM this month — all your need to know