Twitter market value jumps more than $4 billion on news Jack Dorsey is stepping down as CEO; gains since erased
- Twitter stock jumped as much as 11% on news CEO Jack Dorsey is stepping down.
- Parag Agrawal, who has been Twitter's CTO since 2017, will be the company's new CEO effective immediately.
Shares climbed as much as 11%, to $52.27, before trading was temporarily halted for pending news. That amounted to $4.2 billion of market capitalization added at intraday highs. Twitter stock had already pared gains before a trading halt, and ended up erasing the entire gain by mid-day.
Dorsey also serves as CEO of Square, a payments technology and services company.
CNBC noted Twitter stakeholder Elliott Management last year wanted to replace Dorsey as CEO before the investment firm reached a deal with Twitter's management.
Elliott Management founder and billionaire investor Paul Singer has previously called for Dorsey to step down from one of his CEO roles, wondering if Dorsey should lead both companies.
- The 100-bagger stocks that survived the test of time and market cycles over 20 years
- Looking to travel abroad? 5 tips to help you save on airfare
- Aprilia RS 457 vs KTM RC 390 – the battle of the sports bikes in India
- Most secluded places in India to visit in 2023
- Relieve constipation naturally with Indian foods: A guide to digestive health