Twitter loses $5 billion in market value after Trump is permanently barred from the platform
- Twitter's stock price tumbled as much as 12% on Monday, erasing $5 billion from its market capitalization.
- The tumble followed the social-media group's permanent suspension of President
Donald Trump's account on Friday.
- "After close review of recent Tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context around them we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence,"
- Trump, who had about 88 million followers, generated enormous publicity for the platform with his controversial and incendiary tweets over the past six years.
- Sign up here our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
Twitter stock fell as much as 12% on Monday after the social-media company permanently suspended President Donald Trump's account on Friday evening. The share-price decline wiped $5 billion from Twitter's market capitalization.
Twitter's bosses suspended Trump's account - which had about 88 million followers - after the world leader's fanning of conspiracy theories about voter fraud and election theft spurred thousands of his supporters to lay siege to the Capitol last week.
"After close review of recent Tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context around them we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence," Twitter said.
The ban followed Facebook's suspension of Trump for at least the rest of his presidency. CEO Mark Zuckerberg defended the decision in a Facebook post on Thursday, arguing that Trump appeared intent on using his account to undermine a peaceful transition of power and risked sparking more violence.
Twitter stock likely fell because investors are worried the Trump ban will erode interest in the platform and lead to boycotts among those who see the decision as politically motivated and a way to silence a major conservative voice.
Read more: A growth-fund manager who's beaten 96% of his peers over the past 5 years shares 6 stocks he sees 'dominating their space' for the next 5 to 10 years - including 2 he thinks could grow 100%
- I've had the new iPhone 14 for 2 weeks. I should've listened to Steve Jobs' daughter because I now regret buying it.
- China tells state banks to prepare for a massive dollar dump and yuan buying spree as Beijing's prior interventions have failed to stem its currency's worst year since 1994
- Here is a list of bank holidays in October 2022
- IISC joins hands with AIIMS Rishikesh to develop algorithm that can read brain scans to detect epilepsy
- Overlapping symptoms of dengue, Covid-19 confusing in many cases, say doctors
- Sterlite Technologies launches optical solution for 5G rollout
- NASA pushes back Artemis I Moon mission launch to November
- Auto sales jump in September: Maruti reports over a 100% jump in volumes